Dig this: Council garden's square meals



Here's a familiar view for fans of New Walk - but what's happened to the large open lawn?
This unusual horticultural scene shows De Montfort Square in August 1955, when the land was used for what was called "the council's kitchen garden."
Each of the beds has a notice attached to it, so presumably the public was allowed to inspect whatever was growing.
It certainly gives the square a very different appearance.
During the war years, the ground in the square had been used for Dig For Victory allotments. As food rationing had continued up until the previous year, it would appear this... read more

 
27 September 2016 in Regional East, Views: 29
Share:
  •  





    News Widget for Webmasters



    Bring Eugene's son back home immediately

    Realtime News

     

    «
    »
    Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
          1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31