Diesel fumes deemed as cancerous as asbestos and passive smoking
diesel exhaust causes cancer, the World Health Organisation has said, in a ruling that makes the fumes as important a threat as second-hand smoke.
The WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer said yesterday that because so many people breathe in the fumes, it has raised the status of diesel exhaust from “probable carcinogen” to “carcinogen”.
Kurt Straif, director of the IARC, which evaluates risks of the disease, said: “It’s on the same order of magnitude as passive smoking.”
Particles in the exhaust can cause inflammation in the lungs which over time can lead to the disease. Mr... read more
- 06:46 Teenage drug dealer hid £1k of cocaine in his pants
- 06:45 Debate needed on 1.5C temperature target
- 06:42 Brexit impact minimal for China: cbank official
- 06:41 Good luck message to all the Portfolio entries
- 06:41 Police appeal for witnesses after crash involving Hartlepool man
- 06:40 Bourne couple’s generous gift to Smile Train charity on son’s first...
- 06:40 East Midlands Ambulance Service reveals plan to speed up response...
- 06:40 Magic of the movies at Burghley House
- 06:40 Vile rapist gets life for sex attack on frail OAP in her own home
- 06:40 Ski instructor hurt in French coach crash that killed Alvechurch...
- 06:38 Northants Steelbacks v Yorkshire Vikings: Now let’s finish the job...
- 06:38 UK Stocks-Factors to watch on July 29
- 06:37 Magic of the movies at Burghley House
- 06:37 Bourne couple’s generous gift to Smile Train charity on son’s first...
- 06:33 New coach-tour firm launched by north Northumberland student
- 06:33 Dopey drug dealer faces jail for selling 10,000 LEGAL pills after...
- 06:33 Hotel and restaurant plan is ‘excellent’ news for town
- 06:31 Galvanised trailer stolen from paddock in Sempringham
- 06:30 Success for new prostate cancer treatment
- 06:28 Exclusive: New York Fed asks Philippines to recover Bangladesh money
- 06:28 What’s been making the headlines in Mansfield?
- 06:26 Dad, 26, in rampage after row with mrs
- 06:26 Silva still magic as Man City look to work through China problems
- 06:22 Magic of the movies at Burghley House
- 06:22 East Midlands Ambulance Service reveals plan to speed up response...
- 06:22 ArcelorMittal keeps 2016 outlook after beating Q2 forecasts
- 06:21 'The woman I married 56 years ago has already died': Reader's letter
- 06:21 Arnold pub drinker sprayed women with CS gas
- 06:21 Pestering boyfriend put a stone through his partner's cat flap
- 06:20 'I’m just here to f*** girls' Migrant 'sexually harassed group of...