Diesel fumes deemed as cancerous as asbestos and passive smoking
diesel exhaust causes cancer, the World Health Organisation has said, in a ruling that makes the fumes as important a threat as second-hand smoke.
The WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer said yesterday that because so many people breathe in the fumes, it has raised the status of diesel exhaust from “probable carcinogen” to “carcinogen”.
Kurt Straif, director of the IARC, which evaluates risks of the disease, said: “It’s on the same order of magnitude as passive smoking.”
Particles in the exhaust can cause inflammation in the lungs which over time can lead to the disease. Mr... read more
- 04:05 Stand-off with 'armed' Pagham man, 72, enters second night
- 04:05 Home Secretary Amber Rudd in France for security talks
- 04:02 Aboriginal mum posts daughter's 'whiteface' photos
- 04:00 World-class acrobats, aerial artistes and jugglers in circus show
- 03:45 British No.1 Johanna Konta breezes into US Open second round
- 03:26 West Brom target Ignacio Camacho confirms his desire to move
- 03:22 Brussels bureaucrats are making the migrant crisis WORSE, says...
- 03:13 John Kavanagh eager to see Conor McGregor fight Eddie Alvarez
- 03:03 American Airlines boss moves to rival United
- 02:59 'I tried various diets and slimming pills - but healthy eating took...
- 02:59 Hospital patients could be saved from life-threatening blunders by...
- 02:59 Are YOU feeling breathless? The menopause could be to blame
- 02:59 Why your BIRTH MONTH could raise your autism risk: Babies lacking...
- 02:59 My grandson keeps pulling his hair out - what can we do to stop the...
- 02:59 Olympic diving champion Chris Mears reveals how he nearly died when...
- 02:59 Could diabetes jabs be replaced by a simple skin patch?
- 02:59 Why are men more likely to die from cancer? Because they fear the...
- 02:59 Secrets of an A-list body: We reveal how to get Goldie Hawn's...
- 02:32 US Open 2016: Johanna Konta kicks off campaign with routine win
- 02:28 E-cigarettes are 'as bad for the heart as tobacco': Nicotine vapour...
- 02:24 Johanna Konta eases past Bethanie Mattek-Sands at US Open
- 01:59 Entrepreneur? It's just a fancy word for hustler
- 01:56 The social housing tenants miles from home
- 01:54 Calais migrant Jungle camp a 'no-go zone' as population DOUBLES...
- 01:54 Mother's delight as conjoined twin daughters prepare to start school
- 01:54 Willy Wonka actor Gene Wilder dies aged 83
- 01:52 Mother's delight as conjoined twin daughters prepare to start school
- 01:52 Willy Wonka actor Gene Wilder dies aged 83
- 01:48 Corrie's Samia Ghadie dazzles in an ivory lace gown at romantic...
- 01:48 Taking it to the maxi! Alessandra Ambrosio displays her toned...