Did the Queen stop Princess Margaret marrying Peter Townsend?
The lavish production of The Crown, the drama of the Queen's reign running on Netflix, perpetuates the myth that Princess Margaret was browbeaten into giving up Group Captain Peter Townsend, the war hero who proposed to her in 1953. But documents in the National Archives show that the reality was quite different, writes former BBC Court correspondent Paul Reynolds.
SPOILER ALERT: THIS STORY REVEALS KEY PLOT DETAILS The Crown shows Prime Minister Sir Anthony Eden stressing the cabinet's opposition to the marriage and threatening the princess with exile for five years if she goes ahead.
The... read more
- 13:39 Jim White breaks his Celtic scarf vow and fans aren't happy about it
- 13:39 Hollywood stars descend on Ellesmere Port for new movie
- 13:38 North Lincolnshire health chief set to step down
- 13:38 Cathedral organist to end concert season
- 13:38 Sparks will fly!
- 13:38 City boxer jailed over break ins at home of ex and her new partner
- 13:38 Buxton mountain rescue stalwarts honoured for long service
- 13:37 Gazza, Coutinho and Lukaku - 10 huge names Aston Villa tried to sign
- 13:37 Meet more of Liverpool's hairiest babies
- 13:37 Coleen Rooney goes on holiday number seven - 'without Wayne'
- 13:37 Woman found dead at house in Kirkby - updates
- 13:37 Meet the medic starring in new series of hit BBC TV show Junior...
- 13:36 Game of Thrones star Kit Harington proud to claim Gunpowder drama...
- 13:36 Hare coursers sighted in South Holland
- 13:35 Watch spectacular shooting stars as Earth passes through Halley's...
- 13:35 Chelsea news: Cesar Azpilicueta reveals Blues’ morale is at rock...
- 13:35 Real Madrid news: Karim Benzema’s agent issues Arsenal transfer...
- 13:34 Sheffield property that became magnet for trouble closed down
- 13:34 Could pole dancing soon become an Olympic sport?
- 13:34 Winds of 70mph predicted as Storm Brian expected to sweep in this...
- 13:33 What happens when we die? Study says we might still know what's...
- 13:33 Flying Scotsman investigation at Nene Valley Railway
- 13:33 Employment gap closes in on East Midlands
- 13:33 Norovirus sufferers 'should avoid preparing food for two days'
- 13:33 Police hunt for vehicle used in three Notts crimes
- 13:32 Heading for the heights at Kirkby on Bain school
- 13:31 West Cumbrian hotel nominated for national award
- 13:31 Cambridge Uni issues Shakespeare trigger warnings
- 13:30 Manchester United great Paul Scholes reacted hilariously to...
- 13:30 Teespring is now selling Eat Sleep Rape Repeat and other...