'Diabetes - The Hidden Killer': Damning investigation shows the burden the preventable condition has on the NHS
Diabetes - the health epidemic that is threatening to overwhelm the NHS.
More and more people are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, believed to cost the NHS £10.3 billion each year - 10 per cent of their budget.
A record four million people are living with the condition, despite more than 500,000 not knowing they have it, figures show.
The bleak situation has left many doctors worried about the condition's financial burden on the health service, a BBC Panorama investigation will show tonight.
Often thought of as harmless, the preventable condition is a hidden killer and can lead to... read more
- 09:37 Driver caught doing 105mph on A19 had cannabis on her
- 09:37 Matlock bakers raise dough for children’s charity
- 09:37 Pub manager’s drink-drive crash shame
- 09:36 Cheeky Skegness thief paid for sink in box he had filled filled...
- 09:36 Iskra Lawrence totally ‘cell-u-lit’ up the red carpet at the...
- 09:36 Transfer news LIVE updates: Aubameyang to Arsenal latest, Man Utd,...
- 09:36 Do you recognise these tools believed stolen in Skegness?
- 09:36 Fantasy Premier League tips: Bargain Fantasy Football price falls...
- 09:36 Dan Walker ‘appalled’ by Louise Minchin’s opinion on VERY...
- 09:36 Stephen Elliott says it should be a no-brainer for former team-mate...
- 09:35 Thieves steal £500 worth of electric tools from car
- 09:35 Application submitted for Seascale School new-build
- 09:35 Labour selects new candidate to fight Morecambe and Lunesdal seat
- 09:34 Real Madrid 'identify Liverpool's Mohamed Salah as top target' for...
- 09:34 Teletubbies Tinky Winky actor Simon Barnes found dead aged 52 at...
- 09:34 Latest news from Northumberland Bird Club
- 09:34 Gossip: Wolves and Aston Villa both interested in French striker
- 09:34 Angels campaign to keep EU passports
- 09:34 Arsenal legend Thierry Henry hits back at Alexis Sanchez's...
- 09:34 Pension decision looming large for older residents
- 09:34 Oncology unit at Berwick Infirmary to be refurbished
- 09:33 Rudgate tipple proves popular with MPs
- 09:33 Pub manager’s drink-drive crash shame
- 09:31 Barrow Police investigate burglary at disused Abbey Road warehouse
- 09:31 A Ferry eye-popping display! Geordie Shore's Chloe shows off her...
- 09:31 Carillion: Kier Group boss urges new bid process
- 09:31 Braless Tiffany Watson shows off her ample gravity-defying cleavage...
- 09:31 'What is wrong with me?' Georgia 'Toff' Toffolo takes an EPIC...
- 09:31 New Holland and Barrett opening in Kenilworth
- 09:31 Traffic delays after overturned lorry sheds cheese load