Desperate refugees deserve a Cumbrian welcome
It is estimated that there are at least 4.5m Syrian refugees. Possibly half are children. Among that estimate there are thousands of unaccompanied minors. There are also refugees seeking asylum from conflicts in Yemen, Somalia and Afghanistan.
What then should be our response?
Surely it must be to join together with other nations to help these poor people in such disparate need.
So far Britain has pledged to take 20,000 refugees. Last financial year, I believe 2,500 arrived. Cumbria has not yet been at the forefront of this welcome. There are good reasons for this. Since Storm Desmond,... read more
- 11:32 More than 400 properties empty in the Harborough district
- 11:32 It’s a Knockout fun day for inspirational Amelie
- 11:31 Family’s lucky escape as overturning car demolishes wall at...
- 11:31 Paedophile breached order by talking to boy, nine, in Chorley
- 11:31 Firefighters battle house blaze in Hartlepool
- 11:30 David Duckenfield and Norman Bettison among six people charged over...
- 11:29 Eyeing election, Russia's Putin stages visit to voter's rundown home
- 11:29 Liverpool pre-season tour: Fixtures, teams, dates, stadiums revealed
- 11:29 ‘Man Utd have signed Ethan Galbraith’: Irish FA make announcement...
- 11:29 Government invests £340,000 to remodel Harrogate A&E department
- 11:29 Chairman of Eskdale Festival ‘excited’ for next year
- 11:28 Birmingham City Council to launch energy company to take on 'failed...
- 11:28 Chance to buy a house for £2 as family opts for unconventional...
- 11:28 Double award win for Hallam architecture graduate
- 11:28 Sheffield secondary awarded national teaching school status
- 11:27 BREAKING NEWS: Relief for Hillsborough families as six are charged...
- 11:27 Angela Merkel tightens grip on power according to new poll
- 11:27 Government invests £340,000 to remodel Harrogate A&E department
- 11:26 Hillsborough commander David Duckenfield charged with 95 counts...
- 11:25 Here are 11 things you won’t miss about Tinder
- 11:26 Sheffield secondary awarded national teaching school status
- 11:26 Care crisis putting lives of elderly in danger, says MP
- 11:25 Why this Twitter thread on dating insecure boys is dangerous
- 11:25 Notts County owner Alan Hardy scores more success in his business
- 11:24 Jack Wilshere will be offered new Arsenal contract, says ex-Gunner...
- 11:24 Nearly half of Brits think that tax should be increased
- 11:24 The death of Simon Brown
- 11:23 Liverpool Transfer News: Keita hammer blow, Sakho to exit despite...
- 11:23 Avengers Infinity War set photo reveals SHOCKING new Iron Man plot...
- 11:23 Caught on camera: Do you know them?