Derbyshire County Council's leader says his child is deaf - and defends services
The county council's leader has revealed he is a father and an uncle to two deaf children - as he defended his authority's educational support for youngsters with hearing impairments after a charity boss raised concerns.
Derbyshire County Council (DCC) was responsible for helping 701 deaf children in 2017, up from 624 in 2014.
But according to a report by the Consortium for Research into Deaf Education (CRIDE), there was not an increase in the number of specialist teachers in Derbyshire during those three years.
There were 7.5 full-time equivalent teachers of the deaf in 2017, down from... read more
- 16:12 Phoenix Youth Project youngsters awarded
- 16:11 Diesel does nicely on used car scene
- 16:11 Members only: Greek ‘penis festival’ sees people kissing giant...
- 16:10 Village pub owner wins national pub personality of the year award
- 16:10 This is the million-mile impact of the Midlands' axed bus routes
- 16:10 Motorist slams "ridiculous" SEVEN-MILE diversion during A46 closure
- 16:10 Rare piece of Concorde jet to go on sale near Buckingham
- 16:09 Major rescue after skier falls 200m in Nevis range
- 16:07 Man arrested after attack victim found with suspected stab wounds
- 16:07 Hailee Steinfeld and Niall Horan spark further dating rumours at...
- 16:06 Damian Green dismisses Brexit 'conspiracy theories'
- 16:06 Brave policeman’s bodycam captures moment he saved drowning man
- 16:06 Northumbria Police officer to stand trial accused of assaulting man...
- 16:06 Dangerous building about to collapse shuts Wigan road
- 16:06 YEP Says: Leeds United’s welcome move on tickets
- 16:05 Roomiest 500 raises the bar again
- 16:05 Peston On Sunday investigated by Ofcom over foul-mouthed rant live...
- 16:05 Teenager loses both legs after being struck down with life...
- 16:04 Will it be a Friday fiesta or a Friday fright night for Dundee...
- 16:04 Dragons' Den viewers are stunned after the creators of an app that...
- 16:04 Meat supplier to Jamie's and Wetherspoons goes bust: 300 jobs lost...
- 16:03 Police officer set for trial over alleged assault on suspect
- 16:03 All trams on Bury line suspended due to damage to overhead lines
- 16:02 London Fashion Week 2018: How to watch Burberry LFW catwalk live...
- 16:02 New Renault Zoe 2018 - Faster and more powerful electric car REVEALED
- 16:02 Universities warn government not to cut their funding as Theresa...
- 16:01 Google Maps: Young woman caught in VERY embarrassing situation in a...
- 16:01 Appeal over criminal damage to shop in Scarborough
- 16:01 Appeal after vehicle theft in Driffield
- 16:00 Melton cancer support group members to meet again next month