Derbyshire County Council pays out more than £400,000 to people affected by asbestos in schools
More than £400,000 has been paid out to people affected by asbestos in Derbyshire schools.
And, with outstanding claims still to be dealt with, the cost to Derbyshire county Council could increase.
A freedom of information request posted on the council's website showed the statistics, with hundreds of Derbyshire schools listed containing asbestos.
Derbyshire Asbestos Support Team, a charity that helps people who have been affected by exposure to asbestos, said asbestos in schools was a growing issue in the cause of mesothelioma and asbestosis.
OTHER NEWS: Find out Ryanair's new destinations... read more
- 08:42 Newcastle boss Benitez: It’s hard to attract players to the...
- 08:41 Grantham Hospital support group offers First Aid training
- 08:41 Weather forecast for the East Midlands: Saturday January 21
- 08:41 Tom Hardy is red hot favourite to be next James Bond and reveals...
- 08:40 Driver rescued after lorry crashes on A1
- 08:37 Jose Mourinho admits Luke Shaw is going through a difficult period...
- 08:37 Belford man receives MBE
- 08:37 Don’t lose your vote when you move home
- 08:36 Antonio Conte organises peace meal for Diego Costa and Chelsea...
- 08:36 Do you want to support Help for Heroes?
- 08:35 Businessman ends up in court after thieves steal his shotguns
- 08:34 Verdict on safety of fire ravaged Barrow building due next week
- 08:32 Coatbridge footballer Mark Kerr tells the Albion Rovers players to...
- 08:31 Go-ahead for 16 homes on outskirts of Shrewsbury
- 08:31 Telford poisoner’s wife tells others ‘trust your intincts’
- 08:31 ‘Prime’ Ludlow housing land is up for sale
- 08:31 Tories dub Telford council leader 'Shaun of the Debt'
- 08:31 Shrewsbury police in extra patrols over reports of 'sexual...
- 08:31 £1,200 damage in vandal attack at Shrewsbury Quarry play park
- 08:31 Shrewsbury butcher's shop burglar jailed for a year
- 08:31 Ludlow's twin oaks await decision on chop
- 08:31 Shrewsbury drugs courier avoids being sent to prison
- 08:31 Shropshire hospitals ask nurses to put in extra shifts as demand on...
- 08:31 Oswestry bus routes changed to avoid roadworks
- 08:31 Shinal A464 accident blackspot: Traffic lights to stay longer
- 08:31 NHS bosses apologise to parents over Shrewsbury man's suicide
- 08:30 Horror bus crash in Italy leaves 16 dead after coach carrying...
- 08:28 Fun parties raise big total for school
- 08:26 Where to buy your own tea room in the West Midlands
- 08:25 Up to 16 dead after bus carrying students crashes and bursts into...