Depression and anxiety soars in young women in social media age, experts report
There has been an alarming rise in rates of anxiety and depression among young women in the age of social media, experts warn.
More than a quarter (26%) of young women, aged 16 to 24, are suffering worrying symptoms - more than three times the rate for men the same age (9%).
Between a fifth and a quarter of young women have also self-harmed - most commonly cutting themselves - compared to just 10% of men the same age.
The figures, contained in a new report published by NHS Digital, found th e rate at which young women are experiencing common mental health disorder symptoms (CMD) is... read more
- 17:24 Cumbrian Challenge raises more than £1million for ex-servicemen and...
- 17:24 Cumbria's best apprentice urges the community to nominate dedicated...
- 17:24 Police officer recognised for diversity work in Cumbria
- 17:23 Popular DNA website helps cops nail ‘killer’ suspected of murdering...
- 17:23 Venezuela: Maduro hails election win but world leaders threaten...
- 17:23 Blackpool Belle puts resort on track for direct service to London
- 17:23 Elon Musk announces $78,000 high-performance version of Tesla Model 3
- 17:23 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe 'told to expect another conviction'
- 17:23 Doncaster mums helping others to beat post natal depression
- 17:23 'It's been 50 years - now sort out our Doncaster village's old slag...
- 17:22 Cumbria's best apprentice urges the community to nominate dedicated...
- 17:22 Police searching for convicted drug farmer who walked out of open...
- 17:21 Booze sales plan for town centre shop rejected
- 17:20 FTSE 100 surges to a fresh record high
- 17:20 Doncaster mums helping others to beat post natal depression
- 17:19 Sylatech reaches for the sky after securing work with global giants
- 17:19 Man had to have skull surgery after being stamped and kicked on...
- 17:18 Spike in help for Wigan hedgehogs
- 17:18 This brilliant Marc McNulty insight sums up the fun and...
- 17:18 Wiganer conquers Iraqi danger mountain
- 17:18 Syria war: Army takes full control of Damascus after ousting IS
- 17:17 Speaker John Bercow admits muttering word 'stupid'
- 17:15 Lottery win for Cumbrian resident
- 17:15 Workington youngster prepares for open water charity swim
- 17:15 Police officer recognised for diversity work in Cumbria
- 17:14 Victims urged to come forward after sex pest strikes in Chester...
- 17:14 ‘The system has failed to help my sick son’
- 17:14 Legacy funds low-cost homes in Warwick
- 17:14 Theatre review Inside the heart of darkness
- 17:13 Crackdown on 'dangerous' school parking in Doncaster