Deposits into cash Isas fall by 87% in a year as banks and building societies cut rates to as little as 0.01%
Savers have turned their backs on the once-popular cash Isa.
The amount flowing into these accounts has fallen by an astonishing 87 per cent in a year, latest figures reveal.
Just £221 million went into cash Isas in August, compared with £1.7 billion in the same month last year.
Rock bottom interest rates, new tax rules and complicated terms and conditions have all played a part in destroying the appeal of these tax-free accounts, which were once the bedrock of any savings strategy.
The cash Isa used to be a simple tax-free savings deal. Now, savers have to grapple with a variety of... read more
- 08:15 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:15 'We are good enough to beat Wolves' Sheffield Wednesday star says...
- 08:14 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:11 Lancaster firm flies high with second Queen’s Award
- 08:10 The amount of waste from schools is ‘scandalous’ and needs to change
- 08:09 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:08 Court deals with Chelsea fan who racially abused steward during FA...
- 08:06 REVEALED: The 20 worst anti-social behaviour hotspots in Doncaster
- 08:06 Police search launched for missing Doncaster man
- 08:04 Avengers: Infinity War – the death, the destruction and Thanos –...
- 08:03 It’s war from Italy at Eurovision 2018 and it could win big with...
- 08:03 GlaxoSmithKline's shares hit as sales dampened
- 08:03 Jess Wright and Strictly Come Dancing star Giovanni Pernice ‘split’...
- 08:02 The new robots that will replace babysitters, surgeons and pets...
- 08:02 FTSE LIVE: Barclays reports £764m quarterly loss after PPI hit;...
- 08:01 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: Sky Sports pundits debate where the...
- 08:00 Andreas Pereira sends message to Jose Mourinho over Manchester...
- 07:59 Cumbria school re-opens its doors after asbestos scare
- 07:58 Alfie Evans’ dad to talk with Alder Hey Hospital doctors about...
- 07:57 Police search launched for missing Doncaster man
- 07:57 Parents of Alfie Evans keep bedside vigil amid tensions over treatment
- 07:56 Tickets on sale for young musicians' concert
- 07:56 Housing plans for East Ord Farm are approved by county council
- 07:55 NBA play-offs round-up: LeBron James produces incredible...
- 07:54 Lord Sugar believes Taylor Swift has a swastika tattoo after...
- 07:53 Hard-up and hungry: The shocking rise in people using food banks in...
- 07:53 Transdr is the new dating app specifically for trans people
- 07:53 Kenilworth Railway Station opening: What you need to know
- 07:52 Gang of girls viciously attack two teenagers on shopping centre floor
- 07:53 Coventry traffic news: Ring road, M6, A46, A45, M69, M1 and more