Deniz Naki: Shots fired at Kurdish footballer's car in Germany
A German-Kurdish footballer and well-known critic of the Turkish government has survived a suspected murder attempt while driving in western Germany.
At least two bullets fired from a passing car hit Deniz Naki's car on a motorway near Düren on Sunday night, German media say. He was not injured.
"I immediately ducked and then rolled right to the hard shoulder," he told Die Welt newspaper.
Naki plays for Amed SK in Turkey and previously played for German clubs.
Last April a Turkish judge gave Naki a suspended jail sentence of 18 months for "spreading terrorist propaganda for... read more
- 13:16 Man seriously injured in New Ferry explosion recovering after...
- 13:16 Ahed Tamimi: Spotlight turns on Palestinian viral slap video teen
- 13:16 East Midlands businesses invited to comment on Heathrow Airport...
- 13:16 I had to convince mum my new diet was a good idea, says footballer...
- 13:16 University of Cumbria’s fetal research listed among most important...
- 13:15 East Midlands businesses invited to comment on Heathrow Airport...
- 13:15 Final beam in place on iconic building
- 13:15 Leyland woman accused of murdering baby denies the accusation
- 13:15 Preston traders affected by improvement works say it's business as...
- 13:14 Man who sparked manhunt after walking out of magistrates court...
- 13:14 Met Office warns that Lincolnshire is facing nine hours of...
- 13:14 Funding page set up to pay for funeral of woman who died on New...
- 13:13 Guinea healer held over faking hundreds of pregnancies
- 13:13 UN alarmed as US cuts aid to Palestinian refugee agency
- 13:12 Rare first edition Harry Potter worth £40,000 stolen
- 13:12 Police Academy director Hugh Wilson dies
- 13:12 MP raises issue of poor patient transport services
- 13:12 PICTURES: Busy Mansfield road closed after car hits pedestrian
- 13:11 ‘New California’ declares independence to become 51st US state
- 13:09 Sir Desmond Swayne 'embarrassed' by Commons snooze
- 13:09 MP raises issue of poor patient transport services
- 13:09 Quiz: How much of a Stormzy fan are you?
- 13:09 NHS 'haemorrhaging' nurses, experts say
- 13:09 Liverpool's Marko Grujic to join Cardiff on loan as Middlesbrough...
- 13:09 Floyd Mayweather rides a horse on the beach as boxing legend...
- 13:09 Businessman throws a lifeline to worried Carillion staff
- 13:09 Farewell to Ronaldinho, the first YouTube footballer: From...
- 13:08 Quiz: Could you pass Donald Trump's cognitive test?
- 13:08 Freedom of Hull given to city-born legendary actor Sir Tom Courtenay
- 13:07 More gales, rain and snow heading our way with Storm Georgina