Dementia death toll rises two-fold among over-65s
The incurable condition is now one of the greatest health risks older people face.
Only heart disease killed more people in England in 2013 than Alzheimer’s, the most common form of dementia.
In 2014, the alarming figures show, there were 73,189 deaths with a recorded mention of dementia, nearly all in people aged 65 or over.
The number in 2001 was just 32,600. Dementia was mentioned in 6.6 per cent of all deaths in 2001 but that figure rocketed to 15.8 per cent in 2014 with the mortality rate leaping from 106 deaths per 100,000 to 188.
It is now the leading cause of death in women and... read more
- 00:16 Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho taunts Southampton ahead of...
- 00:14 Many countries ‘stricter on game hunting rules’ than Scotland
- 00:13 Inverness 2-1 Rangers: Bad to worse for Graeme Murty as Billy...
- 00:13 Wales foot soldier Sam Warburton has rediscovered his mojo thanks...
- 00:12 Feminist issues that won’t go away
- 00:12 Arts ahead: February 25 2017
- 00:12 On Distras, Drewett, Seagulls and myself
- 00:12 Man U’s Rostov tie ‘bad in every aspect’ – Jose
- 00:12 FOXES FANS BLAST ‘SHAMEFUL’ SACKING
- 00:12 A fitting send-off for England’s greatest, Kelly Smith
- 00:12 Look beyond Trump’s populist razzmatazz
- 00:12 Soldiers go on trial over coup plot
- 00:12 DUP admits funding was from Constitutional Research Council
- 00:12 Austerity is near an end, Tsipras claims after EU debt deal
- 00:12 Arcadia staff give bosses a dressing down
- 00:11 Music review: Julian Cope
- 00:12 MPs pass anti-rape Bill despite ‘villainous’ Tory’s whining
- 00:11 Music review: The Pet Shop Boys
- 00:12 Union fears Argos move will depress wages
- 00:11 Music review: Pelleas & Melisande
- 00:12 Former St Mirren Paul McKnight calls on Saints to turn the clock...
- 00:12 Crowd left baffled as Cambuslang boxer loses out to controversial...
- 00:11 Film/Music review: Lost in France
- 00:11 Theatre review: Pink Mist, Last Tango in Partick, The Curious...
- 00:11 Mum’s the Word:
- 00:11 MP tackles football's breastfeeding taboo
- 00:11 Film review: Demons; David Lynch: The Art Life; Their Finest
- 00:11 Scottish Labour's Dugdale pledges to work 'tirelessly' for union
- 00:08 Robbie Henshaw and Garry Ringrose must ignore hype, says Gordon...
- 00:07 David Moyes speaks out on Manchester United transfer: Player would...