Dementia death toll rises two-fold among over-65s
The incurable condition is now one of the greatest health risks older people face.
Only heart disease killed more people in England in 2013 than Alzheimer’s, the most common form of dementia.
In 2014, the alarming figures show, there were 73,189 deaths with a recorded mention of dementia, nearly all in people aged 65 or over.
The number in 2001 was just 32,600. Dementia was mentioned in 6.6 per cent of all deaths in 2001 but that figure rocketed to 15.8 per cent in 2014 with the mortality rate leaping from 106 deaths per 100,000 to 188.
It is now the leading cause of death in women and... read more
- 20:39 Catalonia crisis: Five separatist leaders detained
- 20:36 Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis charged with drug...
- 20:36 Drugs gang boss who ran cannabis operation worth millions is jailed
- 20:27 Ten talking-points that defined the 2018 Cheltenham Festival
- 20:26 Kylie Jenner and baby Stormi Webster are twinning beauties with the...
- 20:25 Johanna Konta takes just 84 minutes to beat Belgian Kirsten...
- 20:20 Cambridge Analytica search warrant granted after Facebook apology
- 20:19 The 2 reasons police are out in force in Melton and Asfordby tonight
- 20:18 I want a plate ... not a spade
- 20:18 Jam or cream first? Milk in tea before or after water? What are...
- 20:18 Martín Vizcarra sworn in as Peru's new president as embattled...
- 20:17 Rural Scottish village broadband network among fastest in UK
- 20:17 Sergio Aguero ruled out of Argentina's friendly with Spain as...
- 20:16 The Spice Girls are reuniting for ‘an animated superhero movie’ and...
- 20:15 Shop worker threatened with knife as robbers grab cash from till
- 20:14 International action for Preston trio
- 20:13 Lionel Messi reveals injury blow before Argentina’s clash with Italy
- 20:11 This is the crime family who sold guns and bullets to gangsters
- 20:11 'Ronaldo is on the pitch with the best player in the world' -...
- 20:11 Prince Harry freaked out by cold feet next to Meghan Markle
- 20:08 Rory McIlroy blames fatigue after he crashes out of WGC Match Play
- 20:06 Elon Musk joins #deleteFacebook movement by axing Tesla and...
- 20:01 Quick thinking Emily reunited with the ambulance team who answered...
- 20:00 Video: The Best of Edinburgh according to Trip Advisor
- 19:56 Liam Broady to skip LTA's two hard-court Challenger events to focus...
- 19:55 Michael Bennett indicted for allegedly injuring elderly woman at...
- 19:55 Improbable research: Blowing the feathers off a chicken
- 19:55 Defender loving life away from Man Utd and thanks Jose Mourinho for...
- 19:55 Arsenal legend makes huge prediction about Man Utd star Alexis Sanchez
- 19:52 Sick Doncaster fraudster claimed 'toys were bought for my dead child'