Defence Secretary 'will continue to oppose EU army plan'
Britain will fight any plans for a European Union army, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has said.
Sir Michael joined his fellow defence ministers from across the bloc in the Slovakian capital, Bratislava, to discuss the ambitious project to strengthen military capability across the continent.
He said: "We are going to continue to oppose any idea of an EU army or EU army headquarters.
"Nato must remain the cornerstone of our defence."
However, asked if Britain would veto the move, he said only that "there is no majority here for an EU army".
The proposals could see... read more
- 13:43 PICTURES: Five arrested in Leamington drugs raid
- 13:43 Sunderland attack suspect released by police as victims said to be...
- 13:43 Next at Home official opening date is revealed
- 13:42 World champion boxer Anthony Joshua hides signed can of Lynx in...
- 13:42 Accident on M6 in Lancashire fifth worst for queues and delays
- 13:42 Take a look at the amazing images competing for Wildlife...
- 13:41 Could pole dancing become an Olympic event?
- 13:41 Donald Trump's net worth plummets after becoming US president
- 13:41 Sheffield school welcomes new dining experience
- 13:41 Wizz Air applies for UK licence ahead of Brexit
- 13:41 Sneaky pool players pocket money from Doncaster boozer during game
- 13:40 A Christmas Prosecco festival is coming to London this December
- 13:40 It’s not up to you to decide how able-bodied my invisible illness...
- 13:39 Seal pup 'blown over rocks' and onto beach during Storm Ophelia...
- 13:39 Robbers used knife and screwdriver in raids in Sheffield
- 13:39 Barcelona news: Southampton and Lille join hunt for Paco Alcacer
- 13:38 VIDEO: The night The Who fed war protesters in Lancaster - and...
- 13:38 Kevin De Bruyne in no rush to agree new Manchester City deal
- 13:37 Airline passengers not impressed by cabin crew holding a bizarre...
- 13:37 Terrifying footage shows a hiker in Iceland with no safety...
- 13:36 The man with a PhD in THREESOMES: British sociologist reveals how...
- 13:37 Eighties Echoes in Sheffield with Nick Heyward
- 13:37 English Open prize money: How much could snooker stars earn?
- 13:36 Online shoppers could soon need a TEXT to buy goods: UK government...
- 13:36 Neighbours spoilers: Shock death CONFIRMED in chilling new trailer
- 13:36 Riverdale season 2: Boss reveals more deaths to come in episode 2 -...
- 13:35 Year 3 primary school teacher faces jail for urging 'girl of 13' to...
- 13:35 Strong earthquake shakes Tonga - Pacific Ring of Fire on alert
- 13:35 From local website to a national franchise
- 13:35 Scots taxpayers pay "Wonga rates" on SFT schemes