Debut writer KJ Orr beats Hilary Mantel to short story prize
Debut author KJ Orr has won the BBC national short story award for Disappearances, beating the likes of double Booker winner, Hilary Mantel.
The £15,000 prize was presented to London-born Orr by Woman's Hour's Dame Jenni Murray at a ceremony in London.
Author and judge Kei Miller described Disappearances as "a near perfect example of how the short story works".
The story about guilt and identity was inspired by Orr watching a solitary man in a cafe while in Argentina.
It tells the tale of a retired plastic surgeon who develops a relationship with a local waitress.
The shortlist... read more
- 13:27 Hunt continues for teenagers who attacked PCSO in Coventry city centre
- 13:27 Doncaster-on-Sea: Town would become a seaside resort if all the...
- 13:27 Life on Byker's Shields Road: From the 'undesirables' to staunch pride
- 13:27 FA, Sheffield Wednesday PLC and South Yorkshire Ambulance Service...
- 13:26 Martin Keown: Jack Wilshere will get a new Arsenal deal but it...
- 13:26 New scheme to speed up muscular appointments
- 13:26 Prime Minister praises Hillsborough families for campaign for justice
- 13:25 What is austerity?
- 13:24 YP Comment: The Hillsborough fight for justice – and how it can...
- 13:24 The pint-puller that's better than a bartender! Students create a...
- 13:23 The latest store to open at Bullring revealed
- 13:23 German fiscal plans include provisions for possible ECB rate hikes...
- 13:23 General Election 2017 result has caused 'collapse' in consumer...
- 13:22 Campaign week for Erb’s palsy
- 13:22 Liverpool target Naby Keita admits he wants to join Manchester City
- 13:22 Scots version of Harry Potter to be published
- 13:22 SO Fest performances in Horncastle relocate to Stanhope Hall due to...
- 13:21 Hillsborough: What the six defendants are accused of
- 13:20 Rare bee-eater birds seen at Nottinghamshire sand quarry
- 13:20 Mileposts project nears completion
- 13:20 Tributes paid to 17-year-old girl 'angel' Saffron Pickering
- 13:20 Appeal to find teen last seen outside Nottinghamshire supermarket
- 13:20 Get your free Herald bottle of water at Stratford River Festival
- 13:20 PICTURE: Cute little kestrel chicks are laid at Conisbrough Castle
- 13:20 Manchester United forward Anthony Martial responds to Old Trafford...
- 13:19 Three-year sentence for spice dealer given a second chance
- 13:19 Michael Bond, creator of Paddington bear, dies at 91
- 13:19 Debris causes delays
- 13:19 Fun event assault and theft probe by police
- 13:19 Ramadan event helps victims of terror outrage