Deadly black widow spider venom discovered in virus
A virus has been discovered with a gene that codes for the poison of black widow spiders.
DNA of the arachnid were probably stolen by the virus in a bid to help it infiltrate animal cells, according to experts.
Bacterial viruses are generally thought to steal DNA only from bacteria, but researchers at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee found that the virus, called WO, carries the gene for the spider toxin.
As well as this, the virus carries a patchwork of traces of other animal DNA.
"Discovering DNA related to the black widow spider toxin gene came as a total surprise because it is the... read more
- 00:18 Piglets rescued from fire become firefighters' BBQ
- 00:13 Disturbing rise in sprawling US-style ‘megafarms’ operating in Britain
- 00:13 What to do if you don’t get the GCSE grades you were expecting
- 00:13 What is the acceptable amount to give your children for passing...
- 00:13 Do universities actually look at your GCSE results?
- 00:13 What does it feel like to fail your GCSEs? Let me tell you
- 00:13 What to do if you need to retake your GCSE exams
- 00:11 Virgil Van Dijk met Chelsea without permission before telling...
- 00:11 Arsenal will only intensify Julian Draxler interest if Alexis...
- 00:10 Firefighters battle huge 'suspicious' blaze at Poundland in east...
- 00:10 South Africa: Miners’ union hits out after thugs firebomb homes
- 00:10 UK car production revs up in July
- 00:10 China and Russia denounce US over unilateral sanctions
- 00:10 Food industry warns of Brexit workforce shortage
- 00:10 Rubber bullets fired at Trump rally protesters
- 00:10 Northern transport summit ‘is a fraud’
- 00:10 Argos landed in court over ‘illegal scabbing’
- 00:06 WBC announce creation of ‘Money’ belt for Floyd Mayweather vs...
- 00:06 Ex-England captain Paul Collingwood offered £75k to play for Andy...
- 00:05 High blood pressure: Lowering your reading to THIS could protect...
- 00:05 IBS warning: Bloating and stomach pain could actually be too much...
- 00:05 Dementia risk: Three drinks that could PREVENT memory loss
- 00:05 Concern over 'rapid' rise of drink and drug abuse among the over-50s
- 00:00 Denmark: Torso’s DNA matches that of missing journalist
- 00:00 Yemen: Scores die in air strikes by Saudi forces
- 00:00 South Korea: Seoul shuns US calls for trade revision
- 00:00 CWU joins Momentum’s bid to deliver Tory losses
- 00:00 Tory MP slammed for racism
- 00:00 Finsbury Park Mosque: Victims of van attack still in hospital
- 00:00 Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 2: New reveal confirms Black Manta date...