Deadly black widow spider venom discovered in virus
A virus has been discovered with a gene that codes for the poison of black widow spiders.
DNA of the arachnid were probably stolen by the virus in a bid to help it infiltrate animal cells, according to experts.
Bacterial viruses are generally thought to steal DNA only from bacteria, but researchers at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee found that the virus, called WO, carries the gene for the spider toxin.
As well as this, the virus carries a patchwork of traces of other animal DNA.
"Discovering DNA related to the black widow spider toxin gene came as a total surprise because it is the... read more
- 16:25 Southern Rail and London Underground strikes 'chaos' warning
- 16:24 UK plans to buy 20 new drones from General Atomics - minister
- 16:23 Chelsea star David Luiz plays down horror tackle from Manchester...
- 16:22 NOSTALGIA: Santa swaps sleigh for Model T Ford
- 16:22 Independent 'leads' in Austrian poll
- 16:19 White Christmas in Derby this year - what are the chances?
- 16:19 Calls for Welford speed limit reduction
- 16:19 Iceland Foods hits back at Icelandic government over trademark
- 16:18 Jurgen Klopp reacts to shocking Liverpool defeat at Bournemouth
- 16:18 Two schools’ big extension plans
- 16:16 Divock Origi: What I thought of Liverpool losing 4-3 to Bournemouth
- 16:16 Livid Liverpool fans blast Lovren, Lucas and Karius after...
- 16:16 PNE Fans’ Panel verdicts
- 16:15 Recovery teams comb charred ruins of California warehouse, 10th...
- 16:15 Rebels tell U.S. they won't leave Aleppo; army sees operation over...
- 16:15 Islamic State strikes back to slow Iraqi forces in Mosul
- 16:12 LIVE: Austria polls closed as Government declares no...
- 16:12 Brigg mourns death of respected sport figure
- 16:12 Bournemouth 4 Liverpool 3: Late Ake winner stuns Reds in thrilling...
- 16:11 'Serious fire' closes road
- 16:10 Last chance to enter Nottingham’s Santa Run and Walk
- 16:10 Live updates as police close A52 near Queen's Medical Centre after...
- 16:08 This will worry Leeds fans: Crucial Elland Road deal takes another...
- 16:07 Section of M6 to stay closed for roadworks
- 16:07 Are you wearing the right bra size? A Lincoln woman tells you where...
- 16:07 Fire at 100-year-old building thought to be deliberate
- 16:06 Ukraine: Five police killed in friendly-fire shoot-out
- 16:05 Christmas 2016: Could you burn some calories at the Christmas...
- 16:05 Drink-driver banned from the road after flattening lamppost and...
- 16:03 YOU ARE NOT ALONE: Support groups for the bereaved ahead of Christmas