Deadly Bangladesh blaze shows up safety gaps 3 years after factory collapse
Bangladesh's safety inspectors twice extended an operating licence at a food and cigarette packaging plant in the capital Dhaka without making physical checks.
That breach of rules is now being investigated by the government after a fire at the Tampaco Foils factory killed at least 39 people last month.
The cause of the Sept. 10 blaze, the country's worst industrial accident since the 2013 Rana Plaza tragedy in which more than 1,100 mostly garment workers died, is unknown. The plant's owner, a former member of parliament, has gone missing.
Flammable materials stored on the factory floor, a... read more
- 00:40 Britain to lose £23b if Heathrow airport is denied third runway
- 00:40 Post-Brexit vote figures show Britain's economy slowing
- 00:40 Find out how you can fight back against inflation
- 00:40 British company strikes rice deal with China among Brexit fears
- 00:36 Murder probe after woman's body found
- 00:36 Housing: Councils call for freedoms to build new homes
- 00:34 In pictures: Libyan students celebrate graduation amid ruins
- 00:33 Short story: Twenty Years by Joanna Bolouri
- 00:33 Memoirs and autumn's best cookbooks: Reviews
- 00:33 Theatre reviews: Ragtime, The Red Barn and Oil
- 00:33 Dance review: Burn The Floor
- 00:33 Opera reviews: Madama Butterfly and Ulysses’ Homecoming
- 00:33 Film reviews: Jack Reacher, I, Daniel Blake and Keeping Up With The...
- 00:33 Jack Reacher author Lee Child: Trump chickened out of Vietnam- end...
- 00:32 Do six people die for every kilo of cocaine?
- 00:32 Citroen DS3 Performance review - Return of the pocket rocket
- 00:30 Venezuelans protest after quashed referendum
- 00:26 Police release 12 more mugshots of fans after Scottish Cup Final...
- 00:22 West Brom: Tony Pulis gives his verdict on Liverpool
- 00:22 Pierluigi Gollini: Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce on the young...
- 00:22 Sam Eggington's epic defeat of Frankie Gavin was a 'super human'...
- 00:21 'Revolutionary' flab-busting treatment endorsed by Kim Kardashian...
- 00:19 QUICK QUIZ: What’s been going on this week?
- 00:15 Police launch inquiry into death of woman ‘refused’ an abortion by...
- 00:12 Thropton WI, Meeting
- 00:11 River Island, New Look and Next: The best coat designs for winter
- 00:11 Debenhams, Oliver Bonas and Jigsaw: The best accessories we want...
- 00:12 Interview: Father of LiFi brings web out of the dark ages
- 00:11 Tesco, Next and Debenhams: The most stylish bread bins
- 00:11 Loaf, Amara and Swoon: Luxurious accessories to create a warm home