Deadly Asian Flu virus could kill 11,000 people in Europe by CHRISTMAS, scientists warn
Two new viruses, much more aggressive than previous diseases, are expected to hit the continent in December from Hong Kong and Phuket.
Researchers estimate the influenza viruses could affect between six and seven million in Italy, with potentially 11,000 cases proving fatal.
Last year, 8,000 people died from a less aggressive form of Asian flu in Italy.
But virologist Fabrizio Pregliasco, a researcher of the University of Milan and medical superintendent of Galeazzi Hospital, said viruses have already been spotted in recent weeks, which is much earlier than usual.
He said: "It will... read more
- 17:19 Gardener’s appeal after thieves steal van
- 17:18 Tragic star Savenaca Koroibulileka’s wife and sons attend memorial...
- 17:18 It’s beginnning to look a lot like Christmas in Bourne
- 17:18 Ex-Swiss banker goes home after U.S. loses extradition from Germany
- 17:18 Departing Gregory hails ‘brilliant’ Stratford Town supporters
- 17:17 Drivers spend 11 hours stuck in Castle Street traffic jams in one...
- 17:17 University ‘tells gay student to keep quiet after classmates tell...
- 17:17 How Nokia and Motorola mobile phones are among classics selling for...
- 17:17 New road signs proudly welcome visitors to Hull UK City of Culture
- 17:16 Marcus Rashford will be a centre-forward, says Manchester United...
- 17:16 Police capture convict hiding under van
- 17:14 Breast cancer drug ‘unfairly blamed’ for side effects
- 17:12 Burlington School’s brush with success in art competition
- 17:12 Scots GPs warn rising workloads may affect patient care
- 17:11 Bomb disposal team to carry out explosion on Walney
- 17:11 Exclusive - Japan's TDK in talks to buy iPhone supplier InvenSense:...
- 17:10 Sky receives takeover approach from 21st Century Fox
- 17:10 Residents urged to secure properties following thefts
- 17:10 One of Cumbria's worst-hit communities reunites after the floods
- 17:09 David Seaman picks a stunning dream Arsenal five-a-side team: Who...
- 17:09 Tens of thousands of homes without water due to burst main
- 17:09 Boston United appoint Adam Murray as new manager
- 17:08 11 good deeds that have happened in Nottingham this week
- 17:08 Christopher Biggins on the Theatre Royal and why Nottingham panto...
- 17:07 'Altercation' reported at Uttoxeter's Christmas Cracker
- 17:07 East Midlands funk, soul and reggae band By the Rivers to play...
- 17:07 Christmas and New Year supermarket opening times in Burton and...
- 17:05 Alabama inmate heaves and coughs during lethal injection
- 17:04 Health experts urge people in Northamptonshire to order repeat...
- 17:03 Man United hero Ryan Giggs reveals Louis van Gaal thoughts before...