Deadly Asian Flu virus could kill 11,000 people in Europe by CHRISTMAS, scientists warn
Two new viruses, much more aggressive than previous diseases, are expected to hit the continent in December from Hong Kong and Phuket.
Researchers estimate the influenza viruses could affect between six and seven million in Italy, with potentially 11,000 cases proving fatal.
Last year, 8,000 people died from a less aggressive form of Asian flu in Italy.
But virologist Fabrizio Pregliasco, a researcher of the University of Milan and medical superintendent of Galeazzi Hospital, said viruses have already been spotted in recent weeks, which is much earlier than usual.
He said: "It will... read more
- 08:19 Injury stopped me reaching the top as a player ... that hurt is...
- 08:20 Live: Traffic and travel for Leicestershire
- 08:19 East Kilbride boss insists pressure is on Buckie in first leg of...
- 08:19 Airdrie Academy Schools Cup winners celebrate 50 years of history
- 08:19 Social media sites are failing to shield children from...
- 08:19 It’s no ordinary cup of tea that comes from Left Field
- 08:19 Callous vandals trash Lincoln gully at Boultham Park
- 08:18 Palmeiras' Felipe Melo throws huge PUNCH at opponent as supporters...
- 08:18 Tottenham fan left with broken skull and eye socket after being...
- 08:17 Who is standing for election in Retford East division?
- 08:17 Who is standing for election in Retford West division?
- 08:17 Readers support taxi drivers over disabled parking row
- 08:17 You can now jazz up your pre-drinks by turning your prosecco rose...
- 08:15 St Helens teen goes from shop floor to starring role in TV advert
- 08:15 This week’s debate: Does Sheffield need to become more of a...
- 08:14 How Man City could line up vs Manchester United
- 08:14 Manchester United line up vs Man City could include Henrikh...
- 08:14 International striker: I want to play at Newcastle next season
- 08:13 That Thing You Do reunion: THIS is what the movie’s band The...
- 08:12 Triple whammy of woe for drivers in Telford, Shrewsbury and Chirk
- 08:12 Six weeks of gas pipe work hold-ups near Oswestry
- 08:12 Pre-general election PMQ's: Waspi, waspish or was it just waffle?
- 08:12 Telford man, 19, in court over iron bar attack
- 08:12 Ellesmere man denies four sex assaults at army training camp
- 08:12 Shropshire motorists facing misery over major road closures
- 08:12 Asian shares pull back from highs on doubts over Trump's tax plan
- 08:12 Packed programme of events has been announced for South...
- 08:11 Arriva Rail North workers to strike but what Calderdale routes will...
- 08:11 North East MP who battled cancer returns to the Commons to take on...
- 08:11 This is the moment murderer Trimaan Dhillon calmly drives off in...