David Attenborough to visit the ship which will bear his name
Sir David Attenborough will visit Birkenhead shipyard Cammell Laird this morning to preside at a ceremony that marks the start of construction of the biggest commercial ship building project in Britain for 30 years.
Popularly dubbed Boaty McBoatface, Britain’s new polar research vessel will be officially named the RRS Sir David Attenborough when it launches in two years.
The 15,000-tonne vessel will be twice the size of a typical Royal Navy frigate. It will be built under cover in the Birkenhead shipyard’s huge construction shed that dominates the town’s skyline.
The project will secure... read more
- 16:25 Elderly couple feel lucky to be alive after car smashes into their...
- 16:25 Ex-car auction firm boss 'can't wait for justice' in Lloyds Bank...
- 16:25 Brackley robber who cut woman’s hand with knife sentenced to four...
- 16:25 Morrisons launches in-store pumpkin carving lessons for parents
- 16:25 Which country is the most generous in the world?
- 16:24 US child porn case Briton loses High Court extradition battle
- 16:24 These 37 medical treatments are completely pointless, according to...
- 16:24 Mixing Red Bull and alcohol is a really, really bad idea, according...
- 16:24 WhatsApp is now more secure than Telegram – someone should tell Isis
- 16:23 Taxi company owner to have licence reviewed after driver caused...
- 16:23 Key Everton FC duo one booking away from picking up ban
- 16:23 German breeders in pre-Brexit deal to import Welsh Black cattle
- 16:22 Want to scoop your own ice cream parlour? It'll need a lot of lolly...
- 16:22 I'm 100 per cent committed to Lincoln City, declares Danny Cowley
- 16:22 Manchester United star Paul Pogba’s agent Mino Raiola made £24.2...
- 16:22 U.S. judge approves $14.7 billion settlement over VW diesel vehicles
- 16:21 When do the clocks go back?
- 16:21 Take That's Gary Barlow to perform at Yorkshire gig for Help For...
- 16:21 GRAPHIC-Downgrades, profit warnings ring Brexit alarms for UK mid-caps
- 16:20 Otters looking for new members
- 16:20 Green light expected for 265 new homes
- 16:20 £146k a year but only two apply for top job
- 16:20 Canadian nurse charged with eight murders
- 16:20 Paralympic star Lewis White is named Sportsperson of the Year for...
- 16:20 Property clinic: My house has subsidence. What should I do?
- 16:20 Wales sweat over George North fitness as concerns mount over...
- 16:19 ‘EYEBALL HANGIN’ OUT’: Sick teens admit “despicable” attack on dead...
- 16:19 Suge Knight sues Dr Dre over 'hitmen' claim
- 16:18 Halloween countdown of Derbyshire’s most haunted places
- 16:18 Hugh Laurie joins the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame