Danish anglers urged to catch 80,000 escaped trout
Up to 80,000 farmed rainbow trout have been accidentally released into the sea in Denmark, prompting a call for anglers to try to catch them.
The accident happened when a cargo ship crashed into a fish farm on the Horsens Fjord on the Jutland peninsula.
There are fears that the fish, weighing about 3kg (6lb 10oz) each, could upset the ecological balance by eating the eggs of other trout species.
A local environmentalist urged "anyone with fishing gear to... go fishing".
Soren Knabe, chair of the environmental group Vandpleje Fyn and a member of the Danish Angler's Association,... read more
- 18:08 More 'spotters' at Huddersfield Town games to reduce policing bill
- 18:08 'Road rage' victim suffers broken nose and eye socket
- 18:07 Finance ministers seek Treasury clarity on economic plans
- 18:06 Chelsea News: Conte's secret weapon, conspiracy theory, transfer...
- 18:04 'Please save our jobs' say Dee Valley Water workers as crunch court...
- 18:04 Steven Gerrard returns to Liverpool as Academy coach as club...
- 18:03 Saido Berahino transfer latest: Stoke agree terms with West Brom...
- 18:03 11 lost buildings of Coventry that are gone but not forgotten
- 18:00 Per Mertesacker shows love for Arsenal with response to signing...
- 17:58 Lucky escape for driver after head-on crash in Goole
- 17:58 Quad bike vandals leave trail of destruction on Leeds golf course
- 17:58 A38 at Branston to remain closed for THREE more hours
- 17:57 Girl, 4, killed after months of cruelty by mother and her...
- 17:57 Obama’s inauguration was very different
- 17:56 Tragic student took own life after being discharged from hospital
- 17:56 Lincoln City v Dover Athletic LIVE - can the Imps thwart Ricky...
- 17:56 Man United boss Jose Mourinho faces decision time: 11 stars could...
- 17:55 Gwynedd man beaten with golf club, stabbed and left unconscious by...
- 17:54 Losing in Iraq, Islamic State seeks to shore up Syria presence
- 17:54 Rocket fired near Istanbul police headquarters - CNN Turk
- 17:54 Teenagers left devastated after five bikes stolen from Tamworth...
- 17:54 Live: Meeting to show support for Cleethorpes Library
- 17:54 Poppy Widdison: Children's Commissioner launches child protection...
- 17:53 Driver killed after lorry overturns and bursts into flames on M42
- 17:52 END OF EU? Brexit is ticking TIME BOMB for eurozone, says Merkel's...
- 17:51 Police at scene of Tunstall High Street collision involving motorbike
- 17:51 Update: Three taken to hospital after three car collision near A34
- 17:51 REVIEW: La Traviata - Royal Opera House
- 17:49 Burnley ace George Boyd being tracked by a host of Premier League...
- 17:49 Crystal Palace remain in the hunt for Arsenal defender Carl Jenkinson