Dangerous driver jailed after dragging police officer along the road for 20ft
A dangerous driver who dragged a police officer 20ft alongside his vehicle in a bid to avoid arrest has been jailed.
Jamie Downing, 23, was parked on Whitchurch Road in Sunderland when he was approached by PCSO Jill McNamara, who suspected he was driving without a licence or insurance.
She opened the door of Downing’s red Toyota Yaris to speak to him and check his documents.
Downing then put the vehicle in reverse and slammed his foot on the accelerator with the door still open - dragging PCSO McNamara for around 20ft.
PC McNamara said: “I was carried on the driver’s door and flung to the... read more
- 13:37 Child mauled in dog attack in Nuneaton
- 13:36 Where are you on the UK fat scale?
- 13:35 Hundreds of assaults on West Midlands Ambulance staff last year
- 13:35 New development in tragic Alfie Evans case after life support...
- 13:35 Music review: The Streets, O2 Academy, Glasgow
- 13:35 Everton v Lyon: Three charged over Goodison disturbance
- 13:35 Another High Court hearing on Alfie Evans set for TODAY as sick...
- 13:34 Hillary Clinton branded Donald Trump ‘disgusting’ in foul-mouthed rant
- 13:34 Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic learn first Barcelona Open opponents
- 13:34 Driver jailed after ‘repeatedly’ swearing at speed cameras
- 13:34 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:33 Woman sentenced for leaving elderly mother in a chair for a year
- 13:31 Crash drink-driver fell over after she arrived at care home to...
- 13:31 Chelsea news: Conte to Arsenal claim, Blues in for Martial, Klopp...
- 13:30 BTS land two entries in top 100 greatest boyband songs
- 13:30 Leeds hospices’ 40 anniversaries: 40 fundraising ideas to pay...
- 13:30 Revealed: The films that captured Leeds on the big screen
- 13:30 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:30 Woman found used condom ‘with dark hairs attached’ in her Tesco kale
- 13:27 M6 crash: Car hits Highways England vehicle attending breakdown
- 13:26 Second air ambulance for Scotland planned
- 13:26 Theatr Clwyd welcomes touring production of A Midsummer Night's Dream
- 13:26 Specialist recruiter to grow own ranks
- 13:25 Raunds Music Festival is back with a bang
- 13:25 Inquests opened into death of couple struck by train in Doncaster
- 13:25 Cruel daughter left elderly mother sitting in a chair for a year...
- 13:25 John Terry breaks his silence on his Aston Villa future
- 13:25 ' I hope this continues for years' - Wolves star Conor Coady looks...
- 13:24 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:24 Fran Kirby named Football Writers’ Women’s Footballer of the Year