'Dangerous and unsafe' care driving midwives out of NHS
Inadequate staffing levels are driving midwives to leave the NHS, with some looking after as many as 15 mothers and babies at a time, a report has found.
The study of more than 2,700 midwives uncovered fears about making mistakes because they were working 12-hour shifts with no break.
Midwives reported not being listened to when they told managers they feared for the safety of mothers and babies, while others experienced bullying from senior staff.
The respondents to the poll, for the Royal College of Midwives, were made up as follows: 31% were midwives who have left the profession in the... read more
- 10:52 Aston Villa vs Preston: These are the men Steve Bruce will be wary of
- 10:52 Jake Livermore on leaving Hull for West Brom - and his message to...
- 10:52 Violence flares in Washington during Trump inauguration
- 10:52 Sahara desert hit by biggest snowfall in living memory
- 10:51 George Galloway blasts Donald Trump 'MURDERED the English language...
- 10:49 First class results for first aid cadets
- 10:47 Chelsea set to bid £15m for midfielder: This signing would be a...
- 10:47 Still at it! Sharks sell your data to cold call firms despite Mail...
- 10:46 ‘It was a miracle no one was killed’: Car owners’ shock as tree...
- 10:45 'Paul Pogba wants me back at Manchester United... he wants to play...
- 10:45 Manchester City vs Tottenham combined XI: No room for Gabriel...
- 10:44 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:44 Council plans a further £34m of cuts and a council tax increase
- 10:43 Girl, 5, and woman knocked to floor after collision with car in Leeds
- 10:42 Teenager remains critical after collision on busy South Tyneside road
- 10:42 Hundreds oppose plan to turn village's last pub into a house
- 10:42 Liverpool v Wolves: Fans snap up FA Cup tickets
- 10:41 Carlisle pair threw lit fireworks from car during police chase
- 10:40 Bid to improve residents’ health
- 10:39 PM 'confident' of striking trade deal with US
- 10:39 Snow falls in parts of Spain for the first time in over a century
- 10:39 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:39 Super scooter keeps David flying high
- 10:38 Does the sad state of Florence Nightingale statue speak volumes...
- 10:38 Leonne Weeks: Murder accused Shea Peter Heeley in court
- 10:37 The weeks best new DVDs to buy or stream
- 10:35 Chest mounted video cameras issued to EVERY frontline North Wales...
- 10:35 Arsenal to use Alexis Sanchez to land top European midfielder
- 10:34 ‘Bedtime stories for adults’ prove online hit
- 10:33 Images of Yesteryear