Dale Farm evictions: Five years on
Dale Farm in Essex was Europe's largest traveller site. The eviction of 80 families from their illegally-built homes left 15 police officers injured and saw 45 arrests. Five years on, some of those involved assess the lasting impact of the evictions.
The roots of the Dale Farm story stretch back to the 1970s when 40 English Romany families were allowed to live beside an illegal scrap yard in Essex.
Settled residents who lived nearby remember this period as one of relative harmony and acceptance.
Then, in 1996 Dale Farm was sold to an Irish travelling family for £122,000 and things, the... read more
- 00:30 Venezuelans protest after quashed referendum
- 00:26 Police release 12 more mugshots of fans after Scottish Cup Final...
- 00:22 West Brom: Tony Pulis gives his verdict on Liverpool
- 00:22 Pierluigi Gollini: Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce on the young...
- 00:22 Sam Eggington's epic defeat of Frankie Gavin was a 'super human'...
- 00:21 'Revolutionary' flab-busting treatment endorsed by Kim Kardashian...
- 00:19 QUICK QUIZ: What’s been going on this week?
- 00:15 Police launch inquiry into death of woman ‘refused’ an abortion by...
- 00:12 Thropton WI, Meeting
- 00:11 River Island, New Look and Next: The best coat designs for winter
- 00:11 Debenhams, Oliver Bonas and Jigsaw: The best accessories we want...
- 00:12 Interview: Father of LiFi brings web out of the dark ages
- 00:11 Tesco, Next and Debenhams: The most stylish bread bins
- 00:11 Loaf, Amara and Swoon: Luxurious accessories to create a warm home
- 00:11 Aveda, Bumble and Origins: The best new hair products
- 00:11 Jose Mourinho: Man United vs Man City derby isn't that important
- 00:11 LK Bennett, Debenhams and Matalan: The best mini bag designs for...
- 00:11 Arsenal ace reacts to Mesut Ozil exit rumours: They're a big club -...
- 00:11 Escada, Kurt Geiger and Gap: Traditional tweeds with a twist
- 00:06 There’s something a bit off about these cemetery bushes
- 00:05 New images released as police continue Hampden trouble probe
- 00:05 Sturgeon pledges to use new powers to safeguard disability rights
- 23:59 Euan McColm: Racism bares its teeth at Jungle refugees
- 23:59 Leader: No campaign needs figurehead – just in case
- 23:59 Darling claims Sturgeon is bluffing with indyref2 bid
- 23:46 Northolt armed stand-off enters second night of talks
- 23:40 North Wales football results: October 21-22
- 23:38 Jeff Salway: Why Tories are for turning on annuity sales
- 23:38 Plea for ‘national debate’ on who gets NHS cancer drugs
- 23:36 England paceman Jimmy Anderson ruled out of first three India Tests