Dada still provokes the shock of the old
A HUNDRED years after the Cabaret Voltaire first opened its doors in Zurich, it is hard to remember just how shocking, provocative and radical the early Dadaist movement once was.
Their extraordinary innovations in performance and technique are now commonplace and barely noticed gestures in the worlds of advertising and corporate culture, where one of the most important art movements of the 20th century is routinely gutted of its radicalism and reduced to the status of an “inheritance track” for the likes of Malcolm McLaren, Vic Reeves and Lady Gaga.
In their centenary year, it is... read more
- 11:00 Blackpool's rock rebels inspire young fashion designer's collection
- 11:00 Tributes to respected businessman
- 11:00 'We had Danny Ings in recently': new Burnley Italian taking town by...
- 10:59 Schools, police and council showing their support for Walk to...
- 10:59 How our media coverage has helped Windrush family’s campaign for...
- 10:58 Man suffers serious neck injuries after assault in Ingoldmells bar
- 10:57 Pop artist Robert Indiana, creator of LOVE, dies aged 89
- 10:57 Have your say on Wigan estate masterplan
- 10:57 Axe hangs over Leicestershire Marks & Spencer stores uncertain as...
- 10:56 Dad stabbed to death for refusing to buy knock-off perfume
- 10:56 Marks & Spencer swings axe on more than 100 stores
- 10:54 Boxing News: Anthony Joshua next fight set to be in USA - EXCLUSIVE
- 10:54 This tattooed man went up climbing frame and shouted about ‘where...
- 10:54 Senior archbishop has been found guilty of child sex abuse cover up
- 10:52 Craig Mahon: Morley and Johnson can give Chester FC a new lease of...
- 10:52 Tragic story behind the £350,000 electric Jaguar which Prince Harry...
- 10:52 Tributes to respected businessman
- 10:51 Yorkshire Dales-themed garden wins gold at Chelsea Flower Show
- 10:51 Brewery expands out of the Isle
- 10:49 BREAKING: Marks & Spencer announce Lancashire store closure
- 10:49 New face at Fylde coast tax team
- 10:48 Here are all the latest pink gin deals to get stocked up for Bank...
- 10:48 Former Aston Villa board member lands high-profile recruitment role
- 10:48 Liverpool will need £70m bid to net big summer transfer target
- 10:48 No cash, no problem with launch of contactless buses in Worksop
- 10:48 Marks & Spencer to close 100-plus stores by 2022 in ‘radical’ plan
- 10:47 Chance to have your say on HS2 route plans
- 10:46 Tributes to respected businessman
- 10:46 Yorkshire Dales-themed garden wins gold at Chelsea Flower Show
- 10:45 Yorkshire Dales-themed garden wins gold at Chelsea Flower Show