Cumbrian MP 'shames' Government into acting on council flood funding
Government cash to help with the damage caused by Storm Desmond in west Cumbria will be paid out immediately, says an MP.
Allerdale council is entitled to about £220,000 under the Government's Bellwin scheme but it has not been paid.
Workington MP Sue Hayman questioned why in Parliament last week.
At Questions to the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, she asked Floods Minister Therese Coffey: “The damage caused by storms last winter cost about £5 billion.
"Thousands of homes and businesses were flooded and there was significant damage to roads and bridges.
“The... read more
- 08:01 Homeless man stole deoderant to sell for food in Worksop
- 08:01 Morrisons introduces puppets into all stores to teach kids the...
- 08:01 15 things all surfers know to be true
- 08:01 International Sunglasses Day: What your sunglasses type says about you
- 08:00 Nikkei rises for 3rd day as weak yen supports; steel shares soar
- 08:00 Stada buyout falls short of shareholder acceptance target
- 07:58 Alexandre Lacazette transfer looks ideal for Arsenal, says...
- 07:58 PSG contact Fabinho as Manchester United talks drag on
- 07:58 Man who pushed boy off bike in Leamington park sought by police
- 07:57 Prince Charles trip on Royal Train cost taxpayers £46,000
- 07:57 Two bullies filmed attacking schoolgirl, 12, tracked down
- 07:57 Real Madrid Transfer News: Gareth Bale to snub interest from PSG...
- 07:57 Lionel Messi isn’t happy about Gerard Deulofeu Barcelona arrival -...
- 07:56 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 07:56 Derbyshire GP who blogged about her bipolar disorder committed suicide
- 07:55 Lions v Hurricanes LIVE updates: Can Joseph, North and co earn a...
- 07:55 Paper round-up: Liverpool’s £25m Oxlade-Chamberlain bid, Manchester...
- 07:54 Bradley Lowery's mum inundated with disrespectful messages asking...
- 07:54 UPDATE 1-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on June 27
- 07:54 Did you see armed police in South Shields on Monday night? Here's...
- 07:53 Vehicles seized during car-cruising crackdown at M1 junction
- 07:53 Arrest made after two assaults involving same people
- 07:53 Help shape new council ward boundaries in Nottingham
- 07:53 Watch Donald Trump's most awkward handshake evolve into hug that...
- 07:53 Seven-year-old remains in critical condition after Westgate Sports...
- 07:53 Great White Shark 'hunting off Britain's shores' as expert warns of...
- 07:53 Pound to euro exchange rate: Sterling steady ahead of crucial Bank...
- 07:53 Derbyshire GP who blogged about her bipolar disorder committed suicide
- 07:51 Villagers save baby elephant after it fell into water tank
- 07:51 Derbyshire GP who blogged about her bipolar disorder committed suicide