Cumbrian girl's rare illness caused by her rapid growth
It sounds like a Roald Dahl story: The girl who grew too quickly.
But it’s fact, not fiction for Zara Beattie.
She has a rare illness caused by her rapid growth and it has left her marooned in her home.
The teenager is suffering from PoTS – Postural tachycardia syndrome.
It means that unless she is lying down, her heart rate can race to a massive 160 or even 180 beats per minute.
It is most common in girls and women aged 15 to 50, but Zara is just 13.
She was struggling for breath during games back in January and first started suffering serious palpitations in May.
Since then it has been a... read more
- 08:45 European shares off to sluggish start to week, banks weak
- 08:44 Manchester bombing probe widens with arrest of man in West Sussex
- 08:43 Arsene Wenger tells Arsenal board to base future decision on FA Cup...
- 08:42 United we stand - Prestonians show our city cannot be divided by...
- 08:41 Why there could be unexploded bombs buried in Derby
- 08:41 Eamonn Holmes CLASHES with Andrew Gwynn in awkward spat: 'Labour's...
- 08:41 7 ingenious micro homes from around the world that will convince...
- 08:40 Bill Jamieson: Why People’s Trust may struggle to thrive
- 08:40 Welsh Government must 'move quickly and further' to reach one...
- 08:40 Louth and District Archery Club wins national award
- 08:40 No Bank Holiday trains from Preston to Carlisle
- 08:39 Three fire crews called to four car crash on A158
- 08:38 Supermarket looking to support charity in 2018
- 08:38 Police raid Chester home during Manchester bomb investigation
- 08:38 Charity named partner of major golf tournament
- 08:38 Security advice following cyber-attacks
- 08:37 M1 northbound closed between junctions 14 and 15 after vehicle...
- 08:37 YOUR VIEW: Mr Hayes walked the walk
- 08:36 Emotional scenes as mother describes last time she saw terror...
- 08:36 Steam fair draws the crowds
- 08:36 Mum left sick to her stomach by what she found in half-eaten...
- 08:36 Manchester bombing probe widens with arrest of man in West Sussex
- 08:36 The brazen Spice-addicted burglar who's left in limbo - because...
- 08:36 Dad shot dead in Sainsbury's car park while holding toddler son is...
- 08:36 These office workers in Japan get to play with cats all day and now...
- 08:36 Tortured survivor of 7/7 terror bombings tragically takes own life...
- 08:35 LIVE Hull City news and rumours as Newcastle United join race to...
- 08:34 Inter Milan confirm Manchester United interest in Ivan Perisic
- 08:32 Paris St-Germain star hints at exit: It could be good news for...
- 08:32 Liverpool target: I've always wanted to be Steven Gerrard