Cumbria Police's six-figure spend on hiring cars in just one year revealed
Cumbria Constabulary splurged £164,302 on private hire vehicles between April 2015 and March 2016, new figures show.
Across the North West's five policing authorities, a total of £1,196,556 was spent on hiring the cars, with Lancashire Constabulary the biggest spender, splashing out £529,285.
The hire bill has been criticised by the TaxPayers' Alliance, a pressure group which campaigns for government transparency and an end to wasteful spending, who say the significant amount is indicative of poor management.
John O'Connell, chief executive of the TaxPayer's Alliance, said: "Spending... read more
- 07:13 One lane of M1 exit slip road blocked near Leeds
- 07:12 One lane of M1 exit slip road blocked near Leeds
- 07:12 Cobblers move ‘ticked the right boxes’ for ambitious striker Williams
- 07:11 Unai Emery to Arsenal: Ex-PSG boss will be SHOCKED by this at...
- 07:11 Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona: Atletico Madrid star sent huge...
- 07:11 Malaysia's 1MDB scandal investigator tells of death threats and...
- 07:10 An open letter to anyone who watched the royal wedding and worries...
- 07:10 Fabletics drained my 16-year-old daughter’s bank account
- 07:08 Ratcliffe brace sees Trojans grind out victory to remain top of table
- 07:08 Potter receives funding boost as she chases Olympic dream
- 07:07 Carlisle man moves on after Manchester terrorist attack
- 07:07 Notorious Carlisle nuisance sent to prison for making abusive 999...
- 07:07 Flats set for approval despite parking fears
- 07:06 Is Bercow heading for a fall?
- 07:05 Over-sterile and germ-free homes ‘could be behind leukaemia...
- 07:04 Hartlepool United eye move for out-of-contract full-back
- 07:04 Man Utd coach Jose Mourinho ‘considers Eric Bailly sale’: Tottenham...
- 07:03 Schools: how to raise £1m a year
- 07:02 Business leaders say economic nationalism is biggest growth threat
- 07:01 Guest Column: Living with bipolar is tough but help is out there
- 06:58 Ariana Grande shares message of support on anniversary of...
- 06:58 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:57 Michael Sturrock: New rules on data are good business practice
- 06:57 Meghan Markle hints at feminist role in monarchy
- 06:57 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:56 UK’s new air pollution strategy ‘hugely disappointing’, says Labour
- 06:56 A64 restrictions change to aid traffic
- 06:54 Ariana Grande shares message of support on anniversary of...
- 06:53 Chelsea should NOT sell Eden Hazard even if Real Madrid offer £150m...
- 06:52 Manchester attack: Arena survivors mark first anniversary