Cumbria mum found dead in prison cell was fighting to keep custody of baby
Michelle Barnes had warned a social worker two months before she gave birth, “if you take the baby, I will go too”, a coroner heard.
The 33-year-old, from Carlisle, was serving a two-year sentence for drugs offences at Low Newton Prison, Durham, when she was found dead in her cell in December.
She was taking methadone in prison in a bid to beat her drug addiction, had mental health issues and a history of self-harm, the jury hearing the inquest at Crook Civic Centre was told.
If you take the baby I will go too Ms Barnes was jailed in June last year and found out she was pregnant while in... read more
- 11:38 #FlyDSA: “My house to Paris in just three hours - I was amazed!”
- 11:38 Time extension for Pavilion Gardens marquee
- 11:38 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:38 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Health Column: Time to protest as Government is turning blind eye...
- 11:37 Router hacker suspect arrested at Luton Airport
- 11:37 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:37 Love a man in uniform? Not if you live in Burnley
- 11:37 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Burnley has been "misled and let down" by the Government
- 11:37 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:37 HS2 high-speed rail project passes final hurdle
- 11:37 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:36 Brits are ditching their polite reputation to become excellent...
- 11:35 Police welfare a priority insist force bosses
- 11:36 EXCLUSIVE: Ronda Rousey has nothing to be ashamed of - Bellator...
- 11:35 If you’re having a crap morning, just look at these polar bear babies
- 11:35 Shadow Housing Minister’s pledge for more affordable homes in...
- 11:35 Wheelchair challenge to transform 20 lives
- 11:35 Bloomers come back bigger and better
- 11:35 Did you see Mickleover crash which left girl with broken left?
- 11:34 TAS plan follow-up to "amazing" Kenyan school visit
- 11:34 BAE Systems expects earnings boost from U.S. defence spending
- 11:34 UK shop sales rise but retailers worry about inflation - CBI
- 11:34 Skeleton of eight foot ‘serpent’ washes up in Cornwall
- 11:34 Woman facing jail for false rape allegations against her ex
- 11:33 ‘Radical’ new vision for Lancashire’s public sector
- 11:33 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:33 Church leaders slam MPs child refugees vote
- 11:33 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield