CPI inflation jumps to highest level in nearly two years
Inflation has jumped to a near two-year high as the rising cost of clothes, restaurants and hotels pushed up the cost of living.
The Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation hit a higher-than-expected 1.0% in September - the same level as November 2014 - rising from 0.6% in August.
Economists had been pencilling an increase of 0.9%.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said there was "no explicit evidence" that sterling's slump following the Brexit vote had pushed up prices of consumer goods.
The value of the pound has fallen nearly 20% against the US dollar since Britain voted to... read more
- 05:03 Antonio Conte talks frustrating moment during Chelsea's win over...
- 05:03 Real Madrid transfer shortlist: Zidane to target these eight...
- 05:03 Man United star: I've been forced to do this
- 04:54 Marcus Rashford picks out Man United target when discussing No9s
- 04:53 Liverpool hold talks over rising star: He's playing in Germany
- 04:52 West Yorkshire Police offer training spot to Hollywood A-lister
- 04:50 McDonald's drops plan to sell shares in Japan unit
- 04:50 China says detained Taiwan activist in good health
- 04:47 Malaysia schoolboy 'beaten by warden' risks losing arm
- 04:46 U.S. FCC to launch 'comprehensive review' of media regulations
- 04:46 South Korea court says Uber violated transport law, latest setback...
- 04:45 Child protection scheme for Scottish sport 'not working'
- 04:42 Ander Herrera reveals the moment he fell in love with Manchester...
- 04:42 Liverpool make offer for La Liga star: Jurgen Klopp could replace...
- 04:42 MIDEAST STOCKS - Factors to watch - April 26
- 04:36 South Korea court says Uber violated transport law, latest setback...
- 04:35 Liverpool prepare huge contract offer for Arsenal and Chelsea target
- 04:31 United Airlines reviews giant bunny death
- 04:30 Georges St-Pierre believes ring rust won't be a big factor in...
- 04:26 Donald Trump ‘BACKS DOWN on Mexico border wall funding’ in budget...
- 04:26 Marine Le Pen promises to 'maintain peaceful relations' with...
- 04:21 Pope urges powerful to act humbly in surprise TED talk appearance
- 04:15 Nikkei nears one-month highs as yen slips
- 04:10 Clothing firm Nordstrom castigated for $425 mud-coated jeans
- 04:09 Horse Racing Tips April 26: Catterick, Epsom, Exeter, Lingfield and...
- 04:03 Bernard Ingham: It’s a free society so choose Corbyn if you relish...
- 04:03 Melody Redman: My sister is on mend, but NHS still needs fixing
- 03:59 UFC News: Manager on McGregor vs Mayweather, dos Anjos' admission
- 03:59 Japan reconstruction minister quits after inappropriate comment on...
- 03:49 Venezuela warns could leave OAS regional group