Councils urged to redesign speed bumps to cut pollution
Local authorities should consider lower speed limits, clean air zones and even redesign speed bumps in a bid to reduce air pollution, health experts say.
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) said "smooth" driving would cut air pollution, linked to 25,000 deaths a year in England.
But pollution experts said the measures will only make small improvements.
Prof Ian Colbeck, of the University of Essex, said the plans pressured local government at a time of budget cuts.
The health advisory body's guidance is now out for consultation.
Air pollution... read more
- 16:23 Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather is disrespectful to boxing -...
- 16:23 Morecambe pub has licence suspended following drugs investigation
- 16:22 Stunning historic steam loco pays Lincoln flying visit
- 16:22 Parents can register for £2,000 Tax-Free Childcare Scheme from...
- 16:22 Why the hunt is on for the messiest bedroom in Coventry
- 16:22 Dear Reader: We need real affordable housing + my spell in A&E
- 16:20 Dear Reader: We need real affordable housing + my spell in A&E
- 16:19 Cable theft in Bardney
- 16:19 WIN! Family ticket to Gulliver’s Easter Extravaganza
- 16:19 Cost of finding temporary accommodation for homeless people going down
- 16:19 Nominate a first aid hero
- 16:19 Family of murdered Pc Keith Palmer pay tribute to ‘wonderful dad...
- 16:18 Nominate a first aid hero
- 16:18 Man accused of arson after flat fire in Huddersfield
- 16:18 Overnight services at three North East urgent care centres to...
- 16:17 Beamish Museum searching for visionary to create 1950s world and...
- 16:17 Star Wars news: Han Solo spin-off character detail LEAKED by Woody...
- 16:17 Destiny 2 release date LEAK reveals PC launch and Bungie beta news...
- 16:17 Support is there for those who need it this Mother's Day
- 16:17 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Chapel St Leonards pupils support Red Nose Day
- 16:16 Philippines' Duterte derides U.S. for past inaction in South China Sea
- 16:16 The poor get poorer in Germany, too, draft government report shows
- 16:16 Sturgeon has ‘confidence’ in Cunningham amid terror row
- 16:15 Pamela Anderson 'STORMED OFF' Celebrity Juice set after Keith Lemon...
- 16:15 Comment: Is this Government intervention in all but name
- 16:15 Eden contestants leave wilderness after a year to find show hasn't...
- 16:15 Viviane Sassen's Kenyan Souvenirs
- 16:15 Martin Margiela: Looking back on the Hermes years
- 16:15 Khalid Masood named as Islamic terrorist behind Westminster attack
- 16:15 ‘Most wanted’ Morecambe arsonist jailed for seven years