Councils urged to redesign speed bumps to cut pollution
Local authorities should consider lower speed limits, clean air zones and even redesign speed bumps in a bid to reduce air pollution, health experts say.
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) said "smooth" driving would cut air pollution, linked to 25,000 deaths a year in England.
But pollution experts said the measures will only make small improvements.
Prof Ian Colbeck, of the University of Essex, said the plans pressured local government at a time of budget cuts.
The health advisory body's guidance is now out for consultation.
Air pollution... read more
- 13:31 Cambridge Uni issues Shakespeare trigger warnings
- 13:30 Manchester United great Paul Scholes reacted hilariously to...
- 13:30 Teespring is now selling Eat Sleep Rape Repeat and other...
- 13:30 War veterans to switch on Banbury’s Christmas lights
- 13:30 The number of schoolkids taking term-time holiday has RISEN
- 13:30 VIDEO: Banbury fun fair continues
- 13:30 Lack of EU trade agreement would be catastrophic for jobs, says...
- 13:30 You may know you're dead AFTER you die - according to science
- 13:30 Norovirus sufferers 'should avoid preparing food for two days'
- 13:30 You can now go around the solar system on Google Maps - here's how
- 13:29 What would the total distance be if you added up the depth of every...
- 13:29 Sheffield property that became magnet for trouble closed down
- 13:28 Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool stars all nominated for Champions...
- 13:28 Grantham Mayor’s Parlour receives old cake topper
- 13:27 What would the total distance be if you added up the depth of every...
- 13:27 Prescribed goods from NHS cutbacks include gluten-free food and...
- 13:26 What would the total distance be if you added up the depth of every...
- 13:26 Part of Leyes Lane in Kenilworth flooded
- 13:26 New Look’s fad diet shirt was in bad taste, but it’s up to us to...
- 13:26 Hundreds of children to take part in arts project at Chester...
- 13:26 Police investigate robbery at Notts village shop
- 13:25 Sheffield property that became magnet for trouble closed down
- 13:25 Car pictured lodged in fence on notorious South Cumbria road
- 13:25 Antoni Gaudi: Casa Vicens
- 13:25 The Farming Column with Sam Walton
- 13:24 Part of Leyes Lane in Kenilworth flooded
- 13:24 Apprentice-style contest will be all in good cause
- 13:24 Yellow weather warning for wind issued
- 13:23 Garbiel Jesus reveals new tattoo as Manchester City forward shows...
- 13:23 Man arrested after ten-hour killing spree targeting co-workers he...