Councils pay out nearly £2 million over pothole damage to cars
UK drivers lodged more than 31,000 claims for pothole damage to their cars last year, costing councils nearly £2 million in payouts, according to the RAC Foundation.
The latest statistics from the motor body revealed that the number of people lodging claims against councils in 2015-16 rose by nine per cent on the previous year, with the average claim worth £432.
A total of 31,483 claims were made against the 204 local authorities who responded to the RAC Foundation’s request for data.
That equates to one claim every 17 minutes in 2015-16.
However, councils paid out in just over a quarter of... read more
- 08:30 Parish councillor resigns to campaign for NHS
- 08:26 Stormzy-backed petition on Grenfell Tower set to be debated...
- 08:26 MPs back ‘Max’s Bill’ for organ donation opt-out system
- 08:26 MOT check - How to check when your car needs service and avoid...
- 08:24 Electrician who left taxi driver with fractures to his face in...
- 08:24 Why a man and his van are taking on North Tyneside Council over new...
- 08:24 Winter Olympics 2018: Watch what it's like to fly down a bobsleigh...
- 08:24 Bargains galore: These secret TK Maxx insider tips will help you...
- 08:24 Creative arts day for Wooler students
- 08:21 Selfless Barrow schoolgirl donates more than 30 meals to foodbank...
- 08:20 Work on Carlisle's railway station roof nears completion
- 08:19 Brexit will take its toll on bulk whisky buys
- 08:19 Chef’s Table: Martin Hollis of The Old Course St Andrews
- 08:20 Officers target Sheffield estates in problem parking drive
- 08:19 Ballathie House Hotel (42/50)
- 08:19 Food blog: Kat Riach
- 08:19 Sideboard with a story to tell
- 08:19 It’s never too late to learn some new cycling skills
- 08:19 From Halifax to the world - Shak became a wrestling star
- 08:18 Travel talk about long distance trek in the Alps
- 08:18 Pokemon Go Community Day SECRET revealed as fans prepare for...
- 08:17 Volunteers unravel a big issue for beaches
- 08:16 Shoppers in Leamington and Warwick encouraged to support ‘Fairtrade...
- 08:16 Head teacher appointed as national leader
- 08:16 Fence is just the ticket for museum
- 08:16 New additions to business forum group
- 08:16 P&G staff lend a hand at foodbank
- 08:16 Milestone reached at Percy Hedley
- 08:14 Roger Federer speaks out as he prepares to battle Rafael Nadal at...
- 08:13 Ant and Dec are hoping for an invite to the ‘night do’ of the...