Council to open up 'gloomy and oppressive' Leicester churchyard - by chopping down 21 trees
Council bosses have scaled back their tree-felling plans as part of a proposed revamp of an historic city centre churchyard.
Officials at Leicester City Council want to open up the wooded St George's churchyard in the heart of the Cultural Quarter because they say it is gloomy and oppressive.
They want to make the area more welcoming from Orton Square, near Curve, and outlined options about how many trees in the wooded area should be felled to achieve this.
It had suggested cutting down 26 trees - a move described by the Leicester Civic Society as 'environmental vandalism'.
Read more:... read more
- 18:10 Teenager charged after youngster stabbed at Swedish 'no-go zone'...
- 18:10 ‘Robert Mugabe to die on October 17 2017’ Zimbabwean priest...
- 18:10 'Muslims should not wear burka in public’, says Australian Premier...
- 18:10 Rape-proof knickers created in wake of Cologne sex attacks SELL OUT...
- 18:10 Done Deal: Chelsea striker makes switch away from Stamford Bridge
- 18:09 WATCH: Stunning starlings put on a show in Derbyshire
- 18:09 Latest court results from the Ilkeston area
- 18:09 Woman hurt after car crashes into a hedge
- 18:09 Friends of St Cross make dream start to sleep fundraiser
- 18:08 Meet the four-legged new arrivals set to keep North East nature...
- 18:08 Dad who broke his back in seven places after horror motorbike crash...
- 18:08 Holocaust to be marked with a series of events across the North East
- 18:08 Theresa May accused of betraying the North East over total Brexit plan
- 18:08 Global temperature hits record high for third year in a row
- 18:07 Harrogate woman's £25,000 win in Henshaws charity lottery
- 18:07 Wall St. flat as tech gains counter weakness in retailers
- 18:06 Shell bolsters offshore wind interests with bid in U.S. tender
- 18:05 Jobs go as Huddersfield sandwich company folds
- 18:05 You can now attend a fitness class where humans have to exercise...
- 18:05 Gabon 1-1 Burkina Faso: Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang hits penalty to...
- 18:05 Patrick Bamford seals return to Middlesbrough as Chelsea make £8.5m...
- 18:05 FIA give approval for sale for Formula One to Liberty Media as...
- 18:05 Plymouth v Liverpool FA Cup LIVE: Plus Newcastle v Birmingham and...
- 18:04 Hedderman happy to win ugly against Enville
- 18:04 James Haskell likely to make first Wasps start since May in Zebre
- 18:04 Hull mum Kerry Clarkson jailed for smuggling 38 Diazepam tablets...
- 18:00 Quick-thinking ambulance staff help avert M6 disaster near Coventry
- 18:00 Mansfield man took claw hammer to pub to protect brother
- 18:00 Teen shoots four, self at American school in northern Mexico
- 17:59 Chelsea Manning decision: Obama under fire for cutting sentence