Council's U-turn over controversial plans for a £280,000 'shared space scheme'
Council bosses have made a U-turn on controversial plans to create a “shared space scheme” for drivers and pedestrians.
Northumberland County Council wanted to redevelop a busy crossing in the Stobhill area of Morpeth for £280,000.
The work involved removing pavements and road markings at the junctions of Shields Road, Jobling Crescent, First Avenue and Third Avenue so drivers and pedestrians could all use the same space.
Supporters said the scheme would improve traffic flow and make drivers more cautious.
But objectors believed it would lead to more accidents and would not be safe for the... read more
- 06:15 Former Manchester United FC star criticises FOUR current players
- 06:15 Lancashire Police failing stress test
- 06:12 Thousands of tiny plastic 'nurdles' washed up on Hartlepool beach
- 06:12 Top sponsors for Sunderland students event
- 06:12 Camera helps catch Wearside flytipper
- 06:12 Sunderland paedophile snared by Dark Justice
- 06:11 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 06:11 Anthony Martial: Why my form was better under Louis van Gaal than...
- 06:10 Plans go in for Sikh temple in Kettering
- 06:10 Independent coffee chain set for expansion with new branches in...
- 06:10 Corby teacher named in top 10 in the world
- 06:10 Teen’s death leaves village in shock
- 06:10 Section of A61 in Chesterfield shut for hours due to 'incident'
- 06:08 WEATHER WARNING: Winds of up to 60mph to batter North West
- 06:08 Vandals cause bus disruption across city
- 06:08 Cycle track arrest of most wanted Morecambe man
- 06:08 Philippine minister doubtful of China row resolution 'during our...
- 06:07 Nurse who slept on duty is suspended
- 06:08 German Social Democrats still hard on heels of Merkel's...
- 06:07 Lancashire Police failing stress test
- 06:07 Woman threatened to 'petrol bomb' social services department in...
- 06:07 Blackpool: From the courts 22-02-17
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Gisela Stuart, Edgbaston
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Richard Burden, Northfield
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Liam Byrne, Hodge Hill
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Andrew Mitchell, Sutton Coldfield
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Jess Phillips, Yardley
- 06:02 City name their price for Hart transplant
- 06:02 Magpies star Whitham hailed after joining the 300 club
- 06:01 Former Coventry City defender to begin stint with American club...