Council defends gay rights record after criticism
Researchers have criticised town hall chiefs for failing to comply with the Equality Act and working to improve the lives of LGBTQ people.
A team from the University of Brighton found the town hall’s performance on equalities had got worse since 2014 while compiling its ambitious research project Liveable Lives.
The researchers graded every local authority in the country for how well they were complying with the duties the Act gives to town halls.
They downgraded Wigan Council from a rating of three, indicating weak compliance, in 2014 to four, meaning the authority was failing to meet one... read more
- 14:54 Football league runs at Brid CYP this summer
- 14:54 VIDEO: Floral tributes pour in for murdered Sheffield teen as...
- 14:53 Police primed to deal with any underage drinkers
- 14:53 Major road in Northamptonshire near M1 closed following crash
- 14:46 VIDEO: Floral tributes pour in for murdered Sheffield teen as...
- 14:45 Councillors backing Market Place projects
- 14:43 A troublesome resident has been jailed after he breached an...
- 14:41 Billy Bragg on Barking: ‘I would hurry past every alleyway for fear...
- 14:41 World Cup 2018: The 12 Tottenham stars you can expect to see in...
- 14:38 New Sunderland AFC owners 'absolutely intent' on return of Stadium...
- 14:34 Train gets 'lost' in Yorkshire after it goes the wrong way
- 14:32 Met Office issues thunderstorm flood warning for Bank Holiday Monday
- 14:32 A troublesome resident has been jailed after he breached an...
- 14:30 Police primed to deal with any underage drinkers
- 14:30 Scots writers protest against Richard Branson’s Edinburgh hotel plans
- 14:28 Murder inquiry launched after boy, 17, dies in Northampton
- 14:28 Firefighters 7,500m climb for fellow life-savers
- 14:27 Liverpool Champions League team news: Star to miss game, Klopp...
- 14:25 People aren’t impressed with this restaurant’s take on a full...
- 14:25 BREAKING NEWS: Murder inquiry launched after death of teenager in...
- 14:25 Major road in Northamptonshire near M1 closed following crash
- 14:24 Fun for all the family at Whissendine School’s fayre
- 14:24 Real Madrid Champions League final team: Zidane to name this 4-3-3...
- 14:24 Firefighters 7,500m climb for fellow life-savers
- 14:23 In Pictures: 11 ancient items the Vikings left in Scotland
- 14:22 Here's when Leeds' new The Ivy restaurant will open
- 14:22 Train gets 'lost' in Yorkshire after it goes the wrong way
- 14:21 Ozzy Osbourne: ‘My problem, really, is I don’t remember I’m 70’...
- 14:20 Firefighters 7,500m climb for fellow life-savers
- 14:20 Uganda bus crash kills at least 22, including children