Council bosses apologise after harrowing report reveals social workers failed to protect toddler with leg bruises and genital warts
The harrowing home life of the brother and sister was laid out in a serious case review published yesterday - as it is revealed Cumbria County Council chiefs are now preparing for a crunch Ofsted inspection of the authority's children's services department before Christmas.
An apology over mistakes in the case has now been issued by Cumbria's children's services boss Councillor Anne Burns, who added an assurance that significant improvements have been achieved since the authority's last failed Ofsted inspection to make sure Cumbria's most vulnerable children are safe.
"This was a... read more
- 19:23 Ex-soldier who shot man dead in Northern Ireland faces prosecution
- 19:23 Hungary steps up anti-immigration stance with plans for NGO tax
- 19:22 Football fan celebrates England win by jumping into the boot of a...
- 19:21 Why does Prince William support Aston Villa? This is the reason
- 19:20 Council say Doncaster's declining markets could be "best in North"...
- 19:19 Colne commemorates its fallen soldiers
- 19:15 Liverpool star Mohamed Salah is NOT world class: Egypt hero slammed...
- 19:15 Couple filmed joining mile high club on trip to Mexico
- 19:13 Bakers of Lincolnshire... Marie Curie ‘kneads’ your support!
- 19:10 Bakers of Lincolnshire... Marie Curie ‘kneads’ your support!
- 19:10 England's late World Cup win sparks scenes of celebration across...
- 19:10 Andy Murray loses on return after Nick Kyrgios comeback at Queen’s...
- 19:08 'You will be responsible': a mother's warning is unheeded on Nauru
- 19:08 'Pushing for civil war': fears riots could turn into widespread...
- 19:06 Birmingham clean air zone reaction: 'it is unimaginative and should...
- 19:06 Teenage boxing fan died after being knifed in neck after brawl,...
- 19:03 Brave moment boy, 13, saves teenager from drowning
- 19:02 Serial rapist "got kicks from being violent to - and dominating -...
- 19:02 Club promoter spared jail despite killing schoolboy with single punch
- 19:02 Sheffield lap dancer comes to the defence of Spearmint Rhino
- 19:00 Ed Sheeran donates Lego head to local charity shop
- 18:59 Nick Kyrgios reveals what Andy Murray said to him after Queen’s defeat
- 18:55 Ant McPartlin and Lisa Armstrong 'wrangle over wedding rings as she...
- 18:53 Northants spinner White opts to retire from red-ball cricket
- 18:52 Video: ‘You call me Mr President’, Macron tells teen
- 18:52 Hammond 'ordered NHS chief to back health funding plan'
- 18:48 Prolific thief jailed after breaching north Cumbria shop ban
- 18:48 Man ‘made girl, 4, do plank exercise then killed her by snapping...
- 18:47 Lake District chef through to finals of top cooking competition
- 18:47 Hull care home fined £4,000 for failing to do this simple task