Could you foster a refugee child? 69 unaccompanied children need homes here but there is only room for 5
Sixty nine unaccompanied asylum-seeking children need homes in Kirklees - but only five are set to be allowed to settle here.
The crisis in Syria and events in the Middle East, North Africa and beyond has seen an unprecedented number of migrants and asylum seekers arriving in Europe.
According to the EU police agency Europol, more than 10,000 unaccompanied child refugees have disappeared in Europe in the last two years.
Across the UK there were 3,000 asylum applications from Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children in 2015, a 56% rise.
The Home Office is asking local authorities to resettle... read more
- 09:15 Weather warning issued as heavy rain is forecast for Cumbria
- 09:14 Hartlepool council tax rises by 4.9% - find out how much yours will be
- 09:14 Appeal to find relatives of Hartlepool man who has died
- 09:13 U.N. chief urges Burundi parties to participate in peace talks
- 09:13 Big Pink Dress charity champ to walk Sunderland 10k course
- 09:13 Philippine leader's opponents turn historic event into protest march
- 09:13 Homeless charity’s £250,000 boost for new South Shields house
- 09:13 South Tyneside ranked 82 worst in England and Wales for shoplifting
- 09:12 WEATHER: Patchy rain and heavy cloud
- 09:10 Health board snoops punishing staff for being critical of NHS on...
- 09:10 Foodies turn out to Hoghton Farmers’ Market despite bad weather
- 09:10 WARNING - GRAPHIC PICTURES: Derbyshire man suffers horrific burns...
- 09:10 WEATHER: Patchy rain and heavy cloud
- 09:09 BADMINTONscotland ask who will follow Hamilton ace Kirsty Gilmour...
- 09:09 Lanark Amateur Swimming Club take medals and a record from the West...
- 09:09 Hamilton Judo Club youths take nine medals from Kendal Open
- 09:07 Heartbreaking moment dog helps to bury his dead brother after he’s...
- 09:07 ‘Council must be ambitious despite government funding cuts’, says...
- 09:07 Delight as fundraising total in memory of Liam Gough tops £18,500
- 09:06 Rugby league club is soaring with new partnership
- 09:06 Plenty of support for school’s careers fair
- 09:05 Cracking chocolate fundraiser for Coningsby & Tattershall Lions
- 09:05 7 stunning cities you can fly to for less than £100
- 09:05 Fit in 4: The 5-minute Pilates routine that carves your core
- 09:04 Magpie Cafe fish recipe: Hake with garlic and spinach gratin
- 09:03 Fighting for Tony: the Cumbrian fightback starts here
- 09:03 KPMG decides to close down Preston office
- 09:02 Manchester United vs Southampton, EFL Cup final High Court: Which...
- 09:02 WATCH: 10 of the most viewed Storm Doris videos
- 09:01 North East news LIVE: Latest breaking news, sport, weather, traffic...