Could THIS be the end of heart damage? Scientists find cells grown from skin help to 'repair the organ'
Heart damage could be repaired in the future through a new form of stem cell therapy, scientists believe.
The treatment turns specialised cells - such as skin - back into a neutral state so they can develop into heart ones.
The so-called induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) are chosen from a donor genetically similar to the recipient.
Previous studies have found embryonic stem cells help to treat severe heart failure.
But in new tests on monkeys, the iPSC cells were found to restore some heart damage in five macaques, a study found.
Researchers from Shinshu University, Japan, chose a... read more
- 12:16 Southwark council fined £570,000 over fatal tower block fire
- 12:16 Chairman Judy hosts gala night of Bourne talent
- 12:16 Anger as one in six children miss out on secondary school places
- 12:15 Cuts, cuts, cuts. Headteachers tell of school system ‘that could...
- 12:15 Trump blames Obama for travel ban protests and security leaks
- 12:15 Real-life rape victim admits Broadchurch season 3 triggered...
- 12:15 NHS mental health crisis: Anorexic children told to starve...
- 12:15 Kinder Surprise's toy cases are yellow for a reason - and now we...
- 12:14 Pancake day first aid
- 12:14 Anger as one in six children miss out on secondary school places
- 12:14 EU wins court backing on anti-dumping duties on Chinese solar panels
- 12:14 Tesco recall children’s toy over safety fears
- 12:14 8 things you’ll only understand if you take medication for your...
- 12:14 Putin says sure will be able to solve disputes with Belarus
- 12:13 MWC 2017: Google Home speaker to launch in UK by June
- 12:13 UK weather: Storm Ewan snow hits parts of country as FOUR INCHES...
- 12:13 Woman subjected to horrific sexual attack in Glasgow lane
- 12:12 Strictly Come Dancing star set to sizzle in South Tyneside
- 12:12 Knitters help charity’s residents feel welcome in new home
- 12:12 What are the UK's most-used household goods according to...
- 12:11 Man from Banbury reported missing
- 12:12 How low can they go? Germany sells two-year debt after yield slide
- 12:11 Student nurse the latest to come forward about Flip Out Chester...
- 12:11 Woman allegedly sexually assaulted in Ellesmere Port by man she was...
- 12:11 Gig raises £1,000 for Horton fund
- 12:11 Nigel Slater’s leek, potato and mackerel
- 12:11 Rachel Roddy’s recipe for real minestrone soup
- 12:11 Double mini-roundabout to deal with 400 new houses in Albert...
- 12:10 Cat's leg amputated after 'mindless cowards' set dog on it
- 12:10 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: I want this player at Chelsea next season