Could parachutes soon be made out of spider webs? Arachnids fed graphene spin webs 5X stronger that can carry a human and are as durable as bulletproof Kevlar
Parachutes could be made out of super-strong and genetically-enhanced spider webs in the near future, research has shown.
Scientists have confirmed feeding a graphene solution to spiders allows them to spin webbing strong enough to carry a weight of a person, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
Graphene is an incredibly strong material made of carbon atoms joined in a hexagonal lattice.
A team of scientists at the University of Trento in Italy conducted a study in which they added graphene and carbon nanotubes to water and fed it to a group of spiders.
They found that the materials... read more
- 15:56 Isis supporter encouraged terrorists to target Prince George, court...
- 15:56 Film review: Solo - A Star Wars Story
- 15:55 The Yorkshire Post says: Incoherence of Chris Grayling. He must...
- 15:53 Forget brunch, how about snacking on an avocado on toast...
- 15:52 Plan would see £300,000 investment in Blackpool Illuminations
- 15:50 James Arthur sued by The Script over Say You Won't Let Go
- 15:50 Yorkshire set for heavy downpours and thunderstorms this week
- 15:49 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:49 My ex-wife and I agreed to split my pension 50-50, but my old...
- 15:49 Wael Abbas: Prominent Egyptian blogger 'arrested'
- 15:48 Police seeking this man following Chesterfield football disturbance
- 15:46 Ensuring a lasting legacy for Nick with Foundation
- 15:45 PM Theresa May denies responsibility for changes to hospital...
- 15:44 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:43 Battered chip shacks of Brussels in taste tussle
- 15:42 Roy Nelson hopes Bellator will make things right after London...
- 15:42 Unai Emery wants Arsenal to adopt a ‘very intensive pressing...
- 15:41 Suicidal mom killed herself and murdered son, 8, by pulling him...
- 15:41 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:40 Iain Duncan Smith had 'issues' with Troubled Families scheme
- 15:37 What was in the royal wedding gift bags that are being sold for...
- 15:35 Turkish lira plummets against dollar
- 15:32 Hamburg becomes first German city to ban older diesel cars
- 15:31 First look at Dundee V&A's waterfront restaurant and cafe
- 15:30 VIDEO: What is it like to ride the new ICON rollercoaster at...
- 15:29 Credit card use by Northants County Council questioned by auditors
- 15:29 Criminals involved in weapons offences rarely get jail terms of...
- 15:29 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following 'unexplained' death
- 15:28 Unai Emery sends message to Mesut Ozil over his role at Arsenal
- 15:28 RUMOUR MILL: Liverpool want to sign Barcelona star Dembele