Could early warning signs of dementia be spotted during an EYE TEST?
Experiments on mice have found brain diseases first show themselves in the retina, the light sensing tissue at the back of the eye.
Scientists say the ability to detect the disease early could be crucial in the search for a drug, as treatments are likely to be more effective before it has taken hold.
In mice genetically engineered to develop Alzheimer's, researchers observed abnormalities in night vision linked to retinal function.
Specifically, light sensitive cells called rods which enable them to see in the dark were faster at responding to flashes of dim light than in a control group of... read more
- 05:39 'Bursting point' NHS has missed bed targets for five years - Labour
- 05:39 Booze touts, bonking and 'professional beggars': Is it time to...
- 05:39 Monster who raped two girls was previously jailed over £115,000...
- 05:38 Minister unveils name of North Yorkshire Sirius Minerals mine
- 05:37 Arsenal setback: Potential Arsene Wenger replacement could become...
- 05:31 IS threat to UK as great as the IRA's in the 70s - terror...
- 05:31 Top bosses! Which managers have won the EFL Cup since 1992?
- 05:31 Watch in awe as man detonates cage full of fireworks in his garden
- 05:21 New bistro open for business in Lincolnshire town
- 05:17 Eric Cantona discusses Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Why he's so important...
- 05:02 Stoke boss Mark Hughes has his say on Dele Alli's horror tackle
- 05:02 David Haye wants to end Tony Bellew's career in front of his family
- 04:55 Ernie is laid to rest at the winning post
- 04:52 Jeremy Corbyn 'determined to finish job'
- 04:48 Homes approved for garden
- 04:43 Pokemon Go APK reveals more news on shiny Gen 2 Pocket Monsters
- 03:49 Cesar Azpilicueta wants more trophies to earn label of Chelsea legend
- 03:49 Fernerbahce ready to listen to offers of £13million for Chelsea...
- 03:44 Ministers criticised over named person consultation
- 03:44 £165m Manchester tramline set to open
- 03:40 Mass Effect Andromeda release date minimum specs revealed as...
- 03:38 Care home woman to get £45,000 payout for 'deprivation of liberty'
- 03:38 Director boycotting Oscars will address London premiere of his...
- 03:20 Nintendo Switch games list receives huge Zelda Breath of the Wild...
- 03:18 Wary of Trump unpredictability, China ramps up naval abilities
- 03:04 UK terror threat 'at highest since 1970s IRA plots'
- 02:45 Vehicle hits crowd at New Orleans parade
- 02:29 Kim Jong-nam killing: Malaysia airport terminal declared safe
- 02:14 Kate Beckinsale is effortlessly stunning in figure-hugging black...
- 02:11 Oscars 2017: Who's predicted to win, and other things to look out for