Could early warning signs of dementia be spotted during an EYE TEST?
Experiments on mice have found brain diseases first show themselves in the retina, the light sensing tissue at the back of the eye.
Scientists say the ability to detect the disease early could be crucial in the search for a drug, as treatments are likely to be more effective before it has taken hold.
In mice genetically engineered to develop Alzheimer's, researchers observed abnormalities in night vision linked to retinal function.
Specifically, light sensitive cells called rods which enable them to see in the dark were faster at responding to flashes of dim light than in a control group of... read more
- 02:09 Ice warning issued for Greater Manchester as region remains in the...
- 02:09 Councils have had to intervene 4,000 times when children were at...
- 02:04 Coronation Street spoilers: Lucy Fallon teases new Bethany Platt...
- 02:04 I’m A Celebrity 2017: Amir Khan hits back as he faces Iain Lee: ‘We...
- 01:53 Championship verdict: Nigel Adkins seems to have got Hull in shape...
- 01:42 The Scots who fought in the battle for Jerusalem
- 01:41 Star Wars: The blockbuster made in Borehamwood
- 01:35 The death (possibly) of monogamy and other relationships
- 01:35 He could have been a contender
- 01:35 Alternatives to the nightmare of a society ravaged by inequality
- 01:35 Defoe brace secures a point for Cherries against Palace
- 01:35 Son shines bright for Spurs in dominant win over Stoke
- 01:35 David’s West Ham slays Goliath as Conte concedes title
- 01:35 The financial aristocrats will eat themselves
- 01:35 The Middle East peace process lies in ruins
- 01:35 ‘This is the 275th day of our hunger strike’
- 01:35 It seems that Brexit doesn’t mean Brexit
- 01:35 Boris leaves Iran without an agreement on jailed Brit
- 01:35 Survivors still let down 6 months on
- 01:35 See the light: Ban nuclear weapons
- 01:33 League Two verdict: Jack Lester is finally turning things around as...
- 01:33 League One verdict: Wimbledon's Darius Charles stumps up £150 to...
- 01:28 I’m A Celebrity 2017: Iain Lee brands Ant and Dec 'b******s' during...
- 01:28 Business leaders urge ministers to 'steady Scotland's economic ship'
- 01:24 Galloway national park fight stepped up
- 01:24 'We are coming for you' message on abuse
- 01:23 Rangers' pop at Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes' ambition lacked class
- 01:18 Dana White reveals how he really feels about GSP vacating the MW title
- 01:12 Amir Khan gets confrontational with Iain Lee during I’m A Celeb...
- 01:10 I'm A Celebrity 2017: Iain Lee reveals he was nearly killed twice...