Corbyn urged Jon Lansman to drop general secretary bid, BBC understands
Jeremy Corbyn urged Momentum founder Jon Lansman not to stand for the vacant post of Labour's general secretary, the BBC understands.
The Labour leader failed to persuade Mr Lansman not to put himself forward in a phone call on Tuesday.
The two are allies but Mr Lansman, who recently elected to the party's NEC, is distrusted by some within the party, the BBC's Iain Watson said.
The Labour leadership favours Unite official Jennie Formby, he added.
Ian McNicol's resignation as Labour general secretary earlier this week has sparked a potential power struggle between Unite, Labour's largest... read more
- 04:25 Police seek car clues after body of Thai man found by roadside in...
- 04:18 GCHQ director urges co-operation after Brexit
- 03:50 From Twitter wars to assassinating Caesar
- 03:42 Protesters taunt US homeland security secretary as she eats Mexican...
- 03:41 Perfectionism and poverty: why musicians struggle with mental health
- 03:35 Peter Thomson, Australian golfing great, dies aged 88
- 03:27 Trump backs plan to end family separations but shirks responsibility
- 02:55 Leeds United 5 - 0 Burton Albion - report: Brewers thrashed by...
- 02:44 All aboard for the weekend
- 01:49 NHS at 70: How Moorfields Eye Hospital changed the world
- 01:49 Gosport hospital deaths: Independent panel findings due
- 01:45 BREAKING: MAJOR flood at Las Vegas hotel as ‘Shark Reef Aquarium...
- 01:44 Katie Price, 40, steps out with toyboy Kris Boyson, 29... after...
- 01:44 Love Island: Wes leaves Laura in tears as he appears to END their...
- 01:44 Love Island: Fans rejoice as Dr Alex FINALLY gets a kiss from...
- 01:44 Beyonce shows off her curves in leopard-print outfit as she joins...
- 01:44 Alexa Chung slips into chic strapless dress and scarf as she joins...
- 01:44 Kourtney Kardashian flashes ample assets in black bralette as she...
- 01:44 Helen Flanagan reveals it's her baby's due date in throwback snap...
- 01:23 Canada legalises cannabis use after successful Senate vote
- 01:18 WHO takes transgenderism out of mental illness category
- 01:13 'Please let me bury my murdered brother'
- 01:11 Meet Kamille: The stockbroker who writes hits for Little Mix and...
- 01:11 Boy Erased author Garrard Conley on surviving 'gay conversion therapy'
- 01:10 Fun for all the family at annual Father’s Day Tractor Rally
- 01:04 Jobs lost as Tog 24 closes
- 01:04 SPEN'S VERY OWN SPIRITS AND SPOOKS
- 01:04 Portugal urged by Fernando Santos to hit ‘Euro 2016 levels’ against...
- 01:03 Telstra to cut 8,000 jobs in major restructure
- 01:03 Ten safest and ten most dangerous countries in the world