Conwy estuary's taunting terrapin finally snared by RSPB staff
A “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle” found in lagoons on the Conwy estuary has been rehomed to prevent it damaging local wildlife.
Staff at the RSPB Conwy nature reserve have often spotted a red-eared terrapin basking in sunshine near reeds.
But all previous attempts to catch the pesky intruder had ended in failure.
It is thought the terrapin may have been dumped in the River Conwy: thousands were bought as pets and subsequently abandoned in the wake of the Ninja Turtle cartoon series in the early 1990s.
The tortoise-like sliders can live for more than 40 years and grow to the size of a small... read more
- 07:26 Tesco fined £129m for overstating profits
- 07:25 Surprise arrest in house
- 07:23 Rise in pupils taking term-time holidays in Sheffield
- 07:23 McLaren factory plan submitted
- 07:23 China to punish firms for fake trade data, other foreign trade...
- 07:23 Oil futures supported by weaker dollar, but bloated supply still...
- 07:22 Brexit: Northern Ireland ‘can leave the UK for Europe’
- 07:22 Nikkei rises as yen rally pauses, investors hunt ex-dividend shares
- 07:20 Ericsson to take writedowns, provisions, restructuring charges in...
- 07:20 South Yorkshire charity issues warning over conman
- 07:20 Traffic madness
- 07:20 We don’t need a J35 service station
- 07:18 WATCH: Burton balloon-modeller Paul Brown aims high with 10-foot...
- 07:18 Cleethorpes care home goes top of the class and wins best design award
- 07:18 Sgt Wilko’s barmy army! Fans will have winning feeling when Leeds...
- 07:17 More than 100 people to protest plans for new Huddersfield school -...
- 07:16 Ex-South Yorkshire Police to challenge his removal from the force
- 07:16 Hull KR close to signing Zach Dockar-Clay and Josh Johnson
- 07:16 New poll shows centrist Macron beating Le Pen to win French election
- 07:15 How will Brussels react to Article 50 being triggered?
- 07:15 Reality Check: Will the UK pay a €60bn 'divorce bill'?
- 07:15 Liam Payne faces the realities of nappy-changing head on in small...
- 07:14 Repeated fires cause damage to Lincolnshire's most haunted church
- 07:14 Street which fought huge housing plan could now get 280 new homes
- 07:14 More than 400 Doncaster properties hit by power cut
- 07:11 Beyond the blade: the truth about knife crime in Britain
- 07:11 Hartlepool United improving all the time
- 07:10 Gareth Bale should have seen red for bad tackle on John O'Shea,...
- 07:10 India ease to eight-wicket win over Australia in Dharamsala to...
- 07:08 Neil’s plight to help others after his own inspirational journey