Convict-spotting algorithm criticised
An experiment to see whether computers can identify criminals based on their faces has been conducted in China.
Researchers trained an algorithm using more than 1,500 photos of Chinese citizens, hundreds of them convicts.
They said the program was then able to correctly identify criminals in further photos 89% of the time.
But the research, which has not been peer reviewed, has been criticised by criminology experts who say the AI may reflect bias in the justice system.
"This article is not looking at people's behaviour, it is looking at criminal conviction," said Prof Susan... read more
- 16:02 Longridge's Palace Cinema opens bigger and better than ever before...
- 16:02 Man Utd transfer news: Cristiano Ronaldo has Real Madrid 'mission'...
- 16:01 Riverside development will "transform" Castleford
- 16:01 Boy, 14, sent home from school because ‘his haircut violated...
- 16:01 VIDEO: 'Somebody out there knows what happened' - Top cop issues...
- 16:00 Public Health England warns of measles outbreak at music festivals
- 15:59 Bouncebackability: a word coined for the play-offs that fits them...
- 15:59 Arsenal in talks with defender Stephan Lichtsteiner over free transfer
- 15:57 VIDEO: Decline in Puffin numbers on the Farnes
- 15:57 National award for Kettering teacher
- 15:56 Liverpool’s best Champions League final chant REVEALED – as chosen...
- 15:56 VIDEO: 'Somebody out there knows what happened' - Top cop issues...
- 15:55 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:54 World champion boxer Robin Reid takes to the ring with young Daniel...
- 15:53 Cow’s burps could become less damaging if we feed them seaweed
- 15:53 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:53 BREAKING NEWS: Person hit by train at Doncaster railway station
- 15:53 VIDEO: Decline in Puffin numbers on the Farnes
- 15:52 Liverpool star James Milner is BETTER than Cristiano Ronaldo – new...
- 15:52 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:52 RSC confirms David Walliams and Robbie Williams collaboration
- 15:52 Stratford skipper Whelan eyeing title challenge
- 15:51 Thunderstorms: What causes this extreme weather phenomena and can...
- 15:51 New gin bar and real ale pub on the way?
- 15:51 Scotland school clothing grant of £100 to relieve family pressure
- 15:51 Boy arrested over stabbing death of Sheffield teenager
- 15:50 Flood defences coming to Padiham
- 15:49 Taxi driver 'who rubbed groin' loses appeal to win back licence
- 15:49 Motorists face severe delays in Leeds city centre as police deal...
- 15:48 Young Americans are paying $600 to learn social skills. They should...