Controversial Government roads plan attracts more criticism
A new Government transport plan which sets out the future priority roads in Cumbria has attracted further controversy.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron has described a proposal to omit the A591 - the main route through the Lake District - as a "big mistake".
It follows criticism of a move to prioritise the A596 over the notorious Carlisle to Cockermouth stretch of the A595.
The Government has stressed that no final decisions have been made, and the draft plan could change after consultation.
A map of the Major Road Network has been published by the Department of Transport to show which... read more
- 09:20 Vet’s pole dancing routine with her dog deemed too racy for local...
- 09:19 Fox and Hounds back open as a pub after 13 years
- 09:19 Goldsborough’s Fox and Hounds back open as country pub
- 09:18 Maurizio Sarri’s representative breaks silence on ‘offer’ from Chelsea
- 09:18 Fun Run: Lancashire charity helping bereaved parents raises £8,000
- 09:17 Renew says work on Palace of Westminster is progressing well
- 09:16 Dog becomes adopted parent to nine ducklings
- 09:15 Gianluigi Donnarumma to Liverpool: ‘£35m plus player’ bid lined up...
- 09:15 Unai Emery: New Arsenal manager branded Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho...
- 09:12 Lane blockage and double lorry smash on motorway
- 09:12 Trekkers have a mountain to climb to help children's hospice charity
- 09:12 Home affairs boss accused of 'cover up' in Peter Dutton au pair case
- 09:11 Body found in search for missing Doncaster man
- 09:10 St Mary’s Church hosting children’s workshop during Warwick Festival
- 09:10 Why is the bee a symbol of Manchester?
- 09:10 Departing Kenilworth mayor presents cheques to charities
- 09:09 Harry Kane confirmed as England’s captain for the World Cup
- 09:08 Tesco to remove 'confusing' best-before labels from fruit and...
- 09:07 Princess Beatrice looks surprised among floral-printed bouncers
- 09:07 Peaky Blinders writer reveals the Birmingham City star he'd most...
- 09:07 Where you’re from will determine what university course you’re...
- 09:07 Tollbar CEO: ‘East Lindsey should congratulate us for investing in...
- 09:07 Liverpool news: Daniel Sturridge responds to reported fall out with...
- 09:07 Shares jump on report China could scrap birth limits
- 09:05 Louth CC: First XI beaten at Woodhall Spa
- 09:04 Police hunt driver after 'hit-and-run' in Preston
- 09:04 Government wants to open mystery fund set up in 1928 to help tackle...
- 09:04 WATCH: Rio Ferdinand says England have 'no chance' of winning the...
- 09:04 Ducks filmed waiting at traffic lights for man to turn green
- 09:03 FTSE LIVE: Shares push on to another record high as positive Spring...