Consumers to save £48m a year as phone giants agree to stop charging fees to unlock mobiles
Mobile phone giants have bowed to Government pressure and agreed to scrap fees for unlocking handsets in a move expected to save consumers £48million a year.
Customers had previously been forced to pay as much as £20 to unlock a mobile phone so it could be used on a different network. Charges have previously been levied on pay monthly customers when they came to the end of their initial contract period.
The firms have now agreed to scrap all such fees after the Government threatened to introduce laws to outlaw the charges if the phone companies failed to act voluntarily.
The deal will make... read more
- 12:23 Aston Villa: Steve Bruce on what Reading win has done for the club
- 12:22 Big rise in crimes behind closed doors, says Yorkshire police chief
- 12:22 Walk on the wild side - stunning snaps on show
- 12:22 Northampton nursing home that did not give residents enough to eat...
- 12:21 Inspirational people from across Northamptonshire celebrated at our...
- 12:21 Couple welcome 20mph speed zone
- 12:21 Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes to be adapted for BBC One
- 12:21 Theresa May snubbed at EU dinner in Brussels
- 12:21 When is Black Friday this year? The deals and stores to look out for
- 12:20 No complaints as new owner takes over Spalding hair salon
- 12:20 Migrant comments led to 'spanking', says BBC's Lineker, but won't...
- 12:20 Deeping St Nicholas farm is doing its bit to save these cuties
- 12:20 Union warns many Northampton schools still likely to contain asbestos
- 12:19 Viral infection versus bacterial infection - What is the difference?
- 12:17 Missing 17-year-old found ‘safe and well’
- 12:16 Actress Tracy Brabin takes Jo Cox’s Batley seat as ‘hate’...
- 12:16 Young actors win roles in Derby Theatre's Christmas show Alice In...
- 12:16 Readers outrage over uniformed veterans being 'discouraged' from...
- 12:14 Disgraced footballer Adam Johnson slashes price of mansion
- 12:14 Halloween 2016 is almost here - send us your Spooky Snaps
- 12:14 Roe-deer hunting on horseback with hounds booming in France
- 12:13 Latics guest columnist Adam Bogdan says determination will pay...
- 12:13 Nintendo pins hopes of a return to greatness on new Switch console
- 12:13 Internet romance scams: 'I realise was being groomed'
- 12:12 Disgraced footballer Adam Johnson slashes price of mansion
- 12:12 Migrant comments led to 'spanking', says BBC's Lineker, but won't...
- 12:12 Nintendo pins hopes of a return to greatness on new Switch console
- 12:11 Gary Lineker hits back after calls for BBC to sack him from Match...
- 12:11 Steven Gerrard reveals just what it takes to be Liverpool captain
- 12:11 Man ‘discovers live maggots’ in porridge but only after he’d eaten...