Conservative conference: Mayor candidate Andy Street says he can win in the West Midlands
Conservative mayor candidate Andy Street has insisted he can beat the odds and win in the West Midlands.
He indicated he was ready to demand a better deal for the region from the Conservative government, as the told the Tory conference in Birmingham that the West Midlands didn’t get its fair share of transport spending.
And he said his experience as the head of retail giant John Lewis - which is owned by its employees - illustrated his commitment to ensuring everybody shares the wealth as the economy grows.
Mr Street had a high-profile spot speaking on the first day of the Conservative... read more
- 00:40 PSG attempting to land Kylian Mbappe on loan from Monaco due to...
- 00:38 One dead and at least seven missing after earthquake strikes...
- 00:37 Nicola Sturgeon and Carwyn Jones hold Brexit talks
- 00:37 Scottish leg of Queen's Commonwealth baton relay due to start
- 00:37 Pound coin gag scoops best Edinburgh Fringe joke award
- 00:37 Brexit: UK seeks 'close co-operation' on legal disputes deal
- 00:34 Edinburgh Fringe: THIS has been named as the funniest joke of the...
- 00:32 Angola to vote to replace long-serving President Dos Santos
- 00:31 EastEnders spoilers: Jay Mitchell gets a surprise visitor after...
- 00:31 EastEnders spoilers: Shock return for killer child Bobby Beale?
- 00:30 AIs that learn from photos become SEXIST and associate women with...
- 00:30 Chimpanzees AND humans spontaneously copy others to pass on new...
- 00:27 The Battle of Hill 70: Canada's forgotten World War One victory
- 00:24 'Always nice to see a few familiar faces': Wayne Rooney taunts...
- 00:22 U-turn over water changes in west Cumbria
- 00:21 Coutinho: If Liverpool signed Keita, Van Dijk and Salah they...
- 00:20 Great Wall of China revs up bid for Fiat Chrysler
- 00:19 PSG close to Kylian Mbappe agreement and in Fabinho talks: Duo to...
- 00:14 Crystal Palace make £15m move for Spurs' defender Kevin Wimmer...
- 00:14 Shock as Burger Chain Kicks Deaf Man Out
- 00:14 Eleanor Rigby's grave goes up for auction
- 00:14 'Stop the fags' poster appears in Melbourne
- 00:14 Are Turkey’s schools dropping evolution and teaching jihad?
- 00:13 Thomas Lemar to Arsenal: Monaco consider selling star before...
- 00:11 'We should give back art looted by the Nazis'
- 00:11 Ford announces £2,000 scrappage scheme for pre-2010 cars
- 00:10 Supplement warning: Not enough of THIS vitamin past age of 60 risks...
- 00:10 Arthritis diet: The SIX foods to avoid if you suffer painful symptoms
- 00:10 Babies born to obese mothers at 'higher risk of asthma'
- 00:10 How a school play about Aboriginal history set off a row