Conservative conference: Brexit vote revealed 'dangerous divide' in society warns Chancellor
The European Union referendum revealed that “too many people feel left behind”, Chancellor Philip Hammond has claimed.
He warned: “A dangerous divide is opening up between those who believe they have a stake in the success of our economy and those who do not.”
In his speech to the Conservative conference in Birmingham, he committed the Tories to ensuring wealth is shared fairly across the UK - and between generations.
And he said the Government's policies for the Midlands, known as the Midlands Engine, will help share economic growth fairly.
Mr Hammond also paid tribute to former Chancellor... read more
- 00:13 Disturbing rise in sprawling US-style ‘megafarms’ operating in Britain
- 00:13 What to do if you don’t get the GCSE grades you were expecting
- 00:13 What is the acceptable amount to give your children for passing...
- 00:13 Do universities actually look at your GCSE results?
- 00:13 What does it feel like to fail your GCSEs? Let me tell you
- 00:13 What to do if you need to retake your GCSE exams
- 00:11 Virgil Van Dijk met Chelsea without permission before telling...
- 00:11 Arsenal will only intensify Julian Draxler interest if Alexis...
- 00:10 Firefighters battle huge 'suspicious' blaze at Poundland in east...
- 00:10 South Africa: Miners’ union hits out after thugs firebomb homes
- 00:10 UK car production revs up in July
- 00:10 China and Russia denounce US over unilateral sanctions
- 00:10 Food industry warns of Brexit workforce shortage
- 00:10 Rubber bullets fired at Trump rally protesters
- 00:10 Northern transport summit ‘is a fraud’
- 00:10 Argos landed in court over ‘illegal scabbing’
- 00:06 WBC announce creation of ‘Money’ belt for Floyd Mayweather vs...
- 00:06 Ex-England captain Paul Collingwood offered £75k to play for Andy...
- 00:05 High blood pressure: Lowering your reading to THIS could protect...
- 00:05 IBS warning: Bloating and stomach pain could actually be too much...
- 00:05 Dementia risk: Three drinks that could PREVENT memory loss
- 00:05 Concern over 'rapid' rise of drink and drug abuse among the over-50s
- 00:00 Denmark: Torso’s DNA matches that of missing journalist
- 00:00 Yemen: Scores die in air strikes by Saudi forces
- 00:00 South Korea: Seoul shuns US calls for trade revision
- 00:00 CWU joins Momentum’s bid to deliver Tory losses
- 00:00 Tory MP slammed for racism
- 00:00 Finsbury Park Mosque: Victims of van attack still in hospital
- 00:00 Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 2: New reveal confirms Black Manta date...
- 23:59 Game Of Thrones season 7: New finale pictures tease tension between...