Conservative conference: Brexit vote revealed 'dangerous divide' in society warns Chancellor
The European Union referendum revealed that “too many people feel left behind”, Chancellor Philip Hammond has claimed.
He warned: “A dangerous divide is opening up between those who believe they have a stake in the success of our economy and those who do not.”
In his speech to the Conservative conference in Birmingham, he committed the Tories to ensuring wealth is shared fairly across the UK - and between generations.
And he said the Government's policies for the Midlands, known as the Midlands Engine, will help share economic growth fairly.
Mr Hammond also paid tribute to former Chancellor... read more
- 16:46 Sam Allardyce in frame for Wolves job: Former England boss could...
- 16:46 David Moyes asked if he still has support of Sunderland owner…...
- 16:45 2017 BMW 5 Series details revealed – and prototype driven)
- 16:45 Trick or treat? Children will consume more than 3,000 calories just...
- 16:45 Delays on West Yorkshire motorway after collision
- 16:44 Appeal after car torched in Brierfield
- 16:44 Delays on West Yorkshire motorway after collision
- 16:44 Teen arrested over Huyton shooting that followed street row
- 16:44 THE BIG READ: Lincolnshire County Council says ‘No Deal’ as £450...
- 16:44 Looking for something spooky? Come along to a charity Halloween...
- 16:44 High speed crash after driver U-turns on a dual carriageway
- 16:44 South Tyneside woman and toddler hurt by falling glass
- 16:43 Contraceptive jabs for men may work - but what about the male pill?
- 16:43 Military jets escort passenger plane to Prestwick Airport
- 16:43 Schoolboy lifeguard rushed into sea to help Polish family in riptide
- 16:41 Mother otter keeps her newborn pup dry in the cutest way possible
- 16:40 Wall St. rises amid robust GDP data, mixed earnings
- 16:40 Trapped in Serbia, migrants seek refuge in derelict warehouse
- 16:38 Sunderland Qashqai deal worth £30billion to North East
- 16:36 Scott Brown hails Brendan Rodgers' philosophy and admits he didn't...
- 16:34 Mel and Sue sign up for new BBC Saturday night show
- 16:34 Growth and inflation stir in euro zone, but ECB wants to know if it...
- 16:33 Chelsea star Cesc Fabregas inadvertently mocks Arsenal while...
- 16:33 Schoolboy lifeguard rushed into sea to help Polish family in riptide
- 16:33 Carers looking after vulnerable people in Northamptonshire urged to...
- 16:33 Henrikh Mkhitaryan snubbed Arsenal transfer because he thought he’d...
- 16:33 Staff at a Northamptonshire bank save the day for wedding party hit...
- 16:32 Relaxing law on uses of The Stray? Stray Defence Association speak out
- 16:32 Prolific burglars jailed after raiding Fewston home whilst owners...
- 16:32 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: David Moyes is over Man United and this...