Conkers 'could vanish' from UK within 15 years, experts warn
Two million conker trees across the country could become a thing of the past, according to leading experts.
Over the next 15 years, it is warned conker trees - a staple of the British autumn - could be wiped out due to a combination of disease - and moths.
Fears are growing that the leaf-mining moth's caterpillars could eat the tree's leaves from the inside, turning the leaves brown and forcing them to drop in the summer before the conkers have fully grown.
The moth, which was initially found in Europe back in 1985, and has since spread swiftly through the continent, may also be responsible... read more
- 06:47 Veteran's pledge to honour forgotten heroes who died in Cyprus...
- 06:47 Missing dog splits Ayrshire village as social media war rages on
- 06:46 Sunderland couple celebrate 65 years of wedded bliss
- 06:46 Anger after yob receives ‘joke’ sentence for leaving South Shields...
- 06:46 'North East workers clock up nearly £730m of free overtime per year'
- 06:45 Garden centre bids to build houses off Arnold cul-de-sac
- 06:45 COLUMN: The future nursing and care workforce
- 06:45 Another 25km of Nottingham gas pipes set for upgrade
- 06:45 Michael Bloomberg and George Osborne: New York points the way to...
- 06:45 Meet the eight-year-old litter picker cleaning up her neighbourhood
- 06:44 Drunk soldier licked police car and exposed himself in Derbyshire town
- 06:44 More than 35,000 driving convictions in Derbyshire last year
- 06:44 'Savage attack' victim 'felt face hit every step' as she was...
- 06:44 Mountain bikers raise concerns over cycle course ‘booby traps’
- 06:44 Breaking news live: Derby's latest traffic and travel updates
- 06:44 Anger after yob receives ‘joke’ sentence for leaving South Shields...
- 06:44 Emergency plans drawn up in Derby to cope with close encounter with...
- 06:44 Top 20 health fibs we tell others - and ourselves
- 06:42 Tot’s epilepsy battle inspires family in charity run
- 06:41 Burglar breaks into adult shop, watches porn and walks off with a...
- 06:40 B&Q injury warning over light fittings
- 06:40 Nintendo Switch launches this week: 8 things to know
- 06:40 TOWIE tans really do make men more attractive to women, suggests...
- 06:40 Antiques Column: Marbles – colourful collectors’ items
- 06:39 Fundraising page launched to help Talke Pits family after explosion
- 06:39 Tilly wants NHS England ‘change of heart’ on Glenfield
- 06:39 Join the Q for new Hanley pool hall
- 06:39 VIDEO: Mart's Brewery craft beers for now sale at Bottlecraft,...
- 06:39 82 jobs as Stoke-on-Trent firm IAE expands
- 06:39 MP Rob Flello to hold urgent talks after offal spill in Weston Coyney