Compensation for NHS patients in Cumbria rockets by millions in just 12 months
Newly revealed figures from the NHS Litigation Authority show bosses in charge of Barrow's Furness General Hospital settled claims totalling more than £11m during 2015/16 - an increase of £1.3m on the previous 12 months.
Some £7.2m of the sum was handed over in damages to patients with successful claims against the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Trust for the year.
The lawsuits themselves racked up an additional £672,485 in legal defence costs, while the trust was also ordered to pay of claimants' costs to the tune of £3.1m.
They contribute to a grand total of compensation paid... read more
- 10:10 Men who sup more than seven pints of beer a week for several years...
- 10:08 Manny Pacquiao reveals terms agreed with Amir Khan for April 23 fight
- 10:08 Rey Vargas too good for Gavin McDonnell as Mexican takes WBC...
- 10:07 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 10:07 Rab C Nesbitt stars inspired by Still Game to bring show to stage
- 10:07 13 super-cute cooking accessories to up your pancake game
- 10:07 'He's acting like an idiot' Mum of tragic boxer Mike Towell blasts...
- 10:07 In-spire-d way of ‘doing church’
- 10:07 Northumberland Camera Club: Snap to it and join our photo band
- 10:06 This lorry driver's heartfelt letter to people of Derby after being...
- 10:05 Literary and Scientific Society: Inequality and social anxiety
- 10:05 Price of stamps to increase
- 10:03 Arsenal starlet stretchered off after suffering serious looking injury
- 10:03 Derbyshire still high risk area for bird flu
- 10:02 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 10:00 Driver who speeded along Lincoln's busiest city centre road ordered...
- 10:00 Ask Andy: Should couples have threesomes and how to bat off...
- 09:59 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:58 Chelsea star sends emotional message to Premier League rival
- 09:58 Taliban leader urges Afghans to plant more trees
- 09:56 ECB won't end asset purchase program all of a sudden, Weidmann says
- 09:56 Euro zone economy - real recovery or another Sirens' song?
- 09:54 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:52 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 09:48 3,000 people to have no Job Centre if Government plans go ahead
- 09:48 South African deputy finance minister named in police probe -...
- 09:46 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:45 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:45 PNE focus on the kids
- 09:44 Locked up in February: Pimps and violent kidnappers among Coventry...