Commissioner: UK 'must avoid data protection Brexit'
The UK's new information commissioner has called for the country to adopt forthcoming EU data protection laws, despite its plan to leave the Union.
"I don't think Brexit should mean Brexit when it comes to standards of data protection," Elizabeth Denham told BBC Radio 4's PM programme.
She added she would press WhatsApp over plans to share data with Facebook.
The new EU data protection regulations are designed to strengthen the rights individuals have over their data.
The idea is to make companies take the issue of data protection far more seriously.
The rules make it mandatory... read more
- 13:38 Former Sunderland mill could be demolished for housing development
- 13:38 Police release latest ‘use of force’ figures
- 13:37 Katie Price reveals THOSE 'flirty Chris Hughes texts' but Eamonn...
- 13:36 Sales: Retail sales FALL despite a positive trend of steady growth
- 13:36 Mecca Bingo owner Rank Group relishes hike in sales thanks to...
- 13:36 West Ham team news for Brighton clash leaked by club insider on...
- 13:36 Liverpool News: Jurgen Klopp reveals plan for Tottenham game and...
- 13:36 Jurgen Klopp gives Sadio Mane injury update ahead of Liverpool’s...
- 13:36 Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham fans face washout weekend as...
- 13:35 Liverpool transfer news: Barcelona accelerate Philippe Coutinho...
- 13:35 Protesters lock-on at Preston New Road
- 13:35 World War 3 will not break out during South Korea winter Olympics,...
- 13:35 Elderly cancer-stricken mum and son want to move from Chesterfield...
- 13:34 Tragedy as man dies while travelling on bus in Hartlepool
- 13:34 Hartlepool pensioner knits up trauma teddies for the air ambulance
- 13:34 BBC sorry over gay conversion tweet
- 13:34 POLL: Should the smacking of children be banned?
- 13:33 Protesters lock-on at Preston New Road
- 13:32 PHOTO GALLERY: Borrowdale shows Cumbria at its autumnal best
- 13:32 Huddersfield vs Man Utd TV channel, kick-off time, date, odds and...
- 13:31 Barrow man banned from vets after abusive threats
- 13:31 Midfielder Knight makes move to FC Stratford
- 13:31 Spalding United former physio and long-time supporter Jack Pateman...
- 13:31 Shauna’s Christmas wish
- 13:31 Christopher Home helping to take the pressure off A&E
- 13:31 Underage sex man avoids jail
- 13:30 Court: Retired shepherd let dogs terrorise sheep
- 13:29 Can too much sugar cause NIGHTMARES? Bizarre myths believed by...
- 13:28 Aldi is now selling its own luxury Thai curry kits for £1.39
- 13:28 Fans accuse EastEnders of 'copying' Coronation Street