Combined authority leader 'must' answer questions over North East devolution
The invitation of a key opponent to North East’s devolution deal to speak at a Northern Powerhouse summit has come under fire.
Councillor Paul Watson, chairman of the North East Combined Authority , “walked away” from a multibillion Tyne and Wear devolution deal along with three other North East leaders earlier in September.
The deal would have meant £900m worth of investment for the region, new powers to improve transport, strategic planning powers and the devolution of skills funding for training.
On Tuesday Coun Watson said it “would not be right” to stand in the way of Newcastle,... read more
- 14:43 Scumbag gives thumbs up to camera after beating his dog in a lift
- 14:43 Police want to trace this man after Soho bar attack
- 14:43 Thugs who attacked Birmingham City fan pub The Roost 'came back for...
- 14:42 Jayne Dawson: First they took Bake Off... now it’s the Sewing Bee
- 14:42 Plans to stop comebacks by fire brigade ‘boomerang bosses’
- 14:42 Primark pulls “shocking” and “racist” Walking Dead t-shirt from...
- 14:42 Yorkshire attractions voted among England’s best-loved places to visit
- 14:42 Heart of Wetherby Cinema to be preserved as new owners take over
- 14:41 This is the real reason Alexis Sanchez played against Sutton - club...
- 14:41 Alan Shearer's former team mate facing FA probe for pie-eating...
- 14:40 Could Donald Trump be coming to Merseyside this summer for the Open...
- 14:40 Get your cat neutered for a fiver on World Spay Day 2017
- 14:40 Weedon’s historic Depot wins Lottery support
- 14:40 Janet Street-Porter gets MARRIED live on Loose Women...and you'll...
- 14:39 Three Valleys ski break: 6 things you should do (apart from just...
- 14:39 Man arrested in Telford Shopping Centre on suspicion of making...
- 14:39 Further arrests made in connection with death of Jonny Binns...
- 14:39 Bridgnorth car park rape investigation launched
- 14:39 Nine arrests over death of dad outside pub
- 14:38 US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall St hits record highs on strong retail results
- 14:38 Hillfields pimp trial: Jury retires to consider verdicts
- 14:38 The horrific moment a three-year-old boy broke his skull after...
- 14:38 New theory put forward about what really happened to Madeleine McCann
- 14:37 Verizon and Yahoo agree $350m price cut
- 14:37 Porsha the Python is still on the loose in Anfield
- 14:36 Lane blocked on M62 after three-car crash
- 14:36 Real Madrid ace determined to leave: Chelsea and Man United keen
- 14:36 Piers Morgan: This player has agreed move to Arsenal
- 14:36 Major update over Tammy Abraham's future: Boss speaks out about...
- 14:35 Neighbours Spoilers: Sonya is on to Dee as Nell gives imposter away