COLUMN: Romance novel was inspired by Peaks
0 Have your say In my last column I mentioned that Haddon Hall is often used as a film set and has been used in various productions of the book Jane Eyre.
It was about this time on October 16 1847, that this now famous book was first published, under the pen name ‘Currer Bell’.
The story of the ambitious and independent Jane falling in love with the Byronic Mr Rochester of Thornfield Hall is one of literature’s best loved romance stories. And it is widely accepted that it was inspired by a visit to our area.
Charlotte Bronte knew the Peak District well, as in 1845 she stayed there when she... read more
- 13:22 Pakistan rejects U.S. sanctions against Kashmir militant
- 13:22 Man City refuse to enter bidding war for £40m Barcelona target...
- 13:21 Music fans warned time is running out to snap up priority tickets...
- 13:21 Sainsbury’s recalls sandwich fillers in food bug scare
- 13:21 Scores of jobs on offer at Experian - one of Nottingham's biggest...
- 13:21 Nintendo SNES Classic Mini announced - here's all you need to know
- 13:21 East Lindsey GP practices propose merger and launch consultation
- 13:21 Arts Council England backs Birmingham with £88m of new funding
- 13:21 Blue Oyster Cult at Rock City in Nottingham will be supported by...
- 13:21 Birmingham City midfielder completes move away from Blues
- 13:21 Top 10 things to see at Lichfield Festival 2017
- 13:21 YP Letters: Council out of touch with transport realities
- 13:21 YP Letters: Single market no barrier to global trade
- 13:21 Aston Martin RapidE to spearhead zero-emissions push
- 13:20 Yoga trapeze gets off to a flying start in Sheffield
- 13:19 Can you legally drive barefoot or in flip flops? This is the law
- 13:19 The cashpoint celebrates 50th birthday - here are 50 facts you need...
- 13:19 Monarchy to get big taxpayer pay rise - are they worth it?
- 13:19 Cristiano Ronaldo rethinks Real Madrid exit and Gareth Bale faces...
- 13:19 Police seek owners of items found at South Yorkshire service station
- 13:18 Airbus unveils futuristic helicopter which can fly 250mph - but is...
- 13:18 Drive My Bessa-carr and You Haxey Thing - Yorkshire water urges...
- 13:18 £6,000 donated to robot appeal to thank life-saving neurosurgeon
- 13:17 Burton Albion fans can buy their priority memberships from the club...
- 13:16 NHS staff celebrate after winning two national awards
- 13:16 Aberdeen complete Greg Stewart loan deal as Birmingham City striker...
- 13:16 Plunge in UK confidence hits Debenhams, adds to slowdown fears
- 13:16 How Man City player Aleksandar Kolarov has become the club's great...
- 13:15 UPDATE 1-Russia's Sistema faces $255 mln dividend shortfall - analysts
- 13:15 French parliament opens in test for Macron's many novice lawmakers